Deadline Extension: I (Still) Can’t Believe It’s Not Better! ICBINB@NeurIPS Workshop

Melanie Fernandez

Sep 17, 2021, 1:11:50 PM9/17/21
to Machine Learning News

Everyone,

We are extending the deadline extension until September 21st AoE.

Looking forward to your submissions,

ICBINB@NeurIPS2021 Organizers Call for Papers: I (Still) Can’t Believe It’s Not Better!
A workshop for “beautiful” ideas that should have worked

Workshop date: Monday 13th December 2021

Location: Virtual, at NeurIPS 2021

Website: https://i-cant-believe-its-not-better.github.io/neurips2021/

Submission deadline: September 21st 2021

Brief Description

Beautiful ideas have shaped scientific progress throughout history. However, beautiful ideas are often overlooked in a research environment that heavily emphasizes state-of-the-art (SOTA) results, where the worth of scientific works is defined by their immediate utility.

We invite submissions to “I (Still) Can’t Believe It’s Not Better!” (ICBINB) Workshop @ NeurIPS2021. ICBINB will explore gaps between the “form” and “function” of ideas in ML and AI research. Do you have a beautiful (“form”) idea which does not yet work (“function”)?

We welcome the submission of research papers and abstracts from the broader ML community describing original work that has not been submitted or currently under review, has not been previously published nor accepted for publication elsewhere, in any other journal or conference. In particular, this work may touch on one or more of the following aspects:

  • Unexpected negative results or anomalies: ideas that do not provide expected results, yet authors are able to explain why, bringing an interesting closed-form piece of knowledge to the community.

  • Papers that are “stuck” yet contain beautiful/elegant ideas. Authors should argue why the idea is of interest, rigorously describe the analysis, and include a self-critique.

  • Criticism of and alternatives to default or standard practices (e.g., current evaluation metrics).

  • Meta-research on the role of “beauty” or negative results in broader ML research (including statistics, data science, AI, and application areas).

Submissions should be 4 pages long at most (not including references) and submitted via OpenReview platform by September 17th 2021 (see our website for the submission link). The Appendix can be unlimited, but note that reviewers might only read the main text. Accepted authors will be invited to participate in a poster session at the workshop. These submissions are non-archival, however reviewers will nominate exemplar papers for submission in PMLR.

This workshop evolves from last year ICBINB@NeurIPS 2020 workshop. This year, we expand the scope to a broader ML community beyond probabilistic ML, and will further unpack the concept of beauty of ideas during the workshop.

Invited speakers include Confirmed: Thomas Griffiths (Princeton University, USA), Michaela Rosca (DeepMind, London), Robert Williamson (Tübingen University, Germany), Cosma Shalizi (Carnegie Mellon University, USA), Tina Eliassi-Rad (Northeastern University, USA), Nyalleng Moorosi (Google AI, Ghana), Chris Maddison (University Toronto, USA)