PhD positions at the Gatsby Unit

Peter Orbanz

Oct 19, 2021, 5:30:45 AM10/19/21
to Machine Learning News
If you are interested in pursuing a PhD in machine learning or theoretical neuroscience at the Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit in London, applications for our programme are now open. Please send us your application by 14th November 2021. Apply here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/gatsby/study-and-work/phd-programme/applications

The Gatsby Unit is part of University College London and focuses on machine learning and theoretical neuroscience. We specialize in research and research training: We have a PhD programme and postdoctoral trainees, but no undergraduate or MSc programme.

Our PhD programme provides a rigorous preparation for a research career. Although each student eventually chooses an advisor, the programme is highly interactive, and the unit functions more like a single large research group loosely divided into subgroups than a regular university department.  Many leading researchers in both machine learning and neuroscience have studied or worked in the Unit. Overall, about 2/3 of our alumni are in academia, many are faculty members at the world's leading universities, others have founded companies (including DeepMind), and almost all are active in research. You can see our network of alumni here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/gatsby/greater-gatsby

Full funding is available to all students, regardless of nationality. Gatsby PhD studentships cover the cost of tuition at the appropriate rate, and include a tax-free stipend, presently £24,000 per annum. The Unit also welcomes applications from students with pre-secured funding or who are currently soliciting other scholarship/studentships.

Official information on the programme can be found here:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/gatsby/study-and-work/phd-programme

We particularly encourage applications from underrepresented groups.

Questions should be directed to admis...@gatsby.ucl.ac.uk