[CfP] The NeurIPS 2024 Creative AI Track

Yingtao Tian

Jul 17, 2024, 10:59:29 PM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to Machine Learning News

Following last year’s incredible success, we are thrilled to announce the NeurIPS 2024 Creative AI track. We invite research papers and artworks that showcase innovative approaches of artificial intelligence and machine learning in art, design, and creativity.

Focused on the theme of “Ambiguity”, this year’s Creative AI track seeks to highlight the multifaceted and complex challenges brought forth by the application of AI to both promote and challenge human creativity. We welcome submissions that: question the use of private and public data; consider new forms of authorship and ownership; challenge notions of ‘real’ and ‘non-real’, as well as human and machine agency; and provide a path forward for redefining and nurturing human creativity in this new age of generative computing.

We particularly encourage works that cross traditional disciplinary boundaries to propose new forms of creativity and human experience. Submissions must present original work that has not been published or is not currently being reviewed elsewhere.

Call for Papers (posters)

We invite submissions for research papers that propose original ideas or novel uses of AI and ML for creativity. The topics of research papers are not restricted to the theme of ambiguity. Please note that this track will not be part of the NeurIPS conference proceedings. If you wish to publish in the NeurIPS proceedings please submit your paper directly to the main track.

To submit: We invite authors to submit their papers. A paper submission should follow these requirements:

  • Submissions should be 2-6 pages, including all figures and tables. Additional pages containing the references and acknowledgements are allowed. Please carefully follow the Latex template for this track when preparing proposals.

  • We follow the NeurIPS template format, but with the appropriate footnote.

  • We also do not hide the names of the authors: Reviewing is single-blind, hence the paper should not be anonymized.

  • Papers should be prepare with the template (download the template here.) This template is identical to the NeurIPS 2024 LaTeX style file except for a different footnote. Refer to NeurIPS 2024 LaTeX style file on how to use the template, and note that you should use preprint option, i.e. \usepackage[preprint]{neurips_2024}, to show author names.

  • Papers should be submitted via CMT.

Call for Artworks

Since we realize that NeurIPS is not a traditional venue for showing artwork, here is some context. NeurIPS is a well-known and prestigious AI/ML conference that tens of thousands researchers from academia and industry attend every year. Selected artworks at the Creative AI track will be presented on large display screens at the conference, and the artists will have the opportunity to interact with the NeurIPS research community to germinate more collaborative ideas.

We invite the submission of creative work that showcases innovative use of AI and ML. We highly encourage the authors to conceptually focus on this year’s theme of “Ambiguity”. We invite submissions in all areas of creativity including visual art, music, performing arts, film, design, architecture, writing, poetry, and more.

The final submission format will be a 3-minute video. Some folks choose to use the video as an explainer video of their artwork with voiceover, whereas other people choose to just have the video showcase the artwork itself. Both approaches are welcome.

To submit: We invite authors to submit their original work. An artwork submission requires the following:

  • The submission of art should be an archive file. You can use common archive formats like .zip, .7z, .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2 .tar.xz.

  • The submission should with the following contents:

    1. 2-page max PDF submission, showing Title / Artist(s) / Year information, and consisting of the following two parts:

      1. 1-page max artwork description, including (but not limited to):

        • the work and the roles of AI and ML

        • how the theme of Ambiguity is addressed

      2. 1-page max biography of all artists including relevant prior works.

    2. Thumbnail image of the work (<100MB)

    3. 3-min video preview of the work (<100MB)

  • The artwork should be submitted via CMT.

Contact

For updates, please check https://neurips-creative-ai.github.io/2024/ regularly.

For other inquiries, please contact creative-...@neurips.cc and/or neuripsc...@gmail.com.

  • Jean Oh / roBot Intelligence Group / Carnegie Mellon University

  • Marcelo Coelho / Design Intelligence Lab / MIT

  • Yingtao Tian / Google DeepMind

  • Lia Coleman / Carnegie Mellon University

  • Peter Schaldenbrand / roBot Intelligence Group / Carnegie Mellon University