ECML PKDD 2021 Discovery Challenge "Discover the mysteries of the Maya" - AI4EO: Cultural heritage protection

Simidjievski

Apr 19, 2021, 5:47:54 AM4/19/21
to Machine Learning News

Dear colleagues,

we are delighted to announce that we launched the machine learning competition “Discover the mysteries of the Maya” and we invite you to participate in it. The goal of the challenge is to explore the potential of the Sentinel satellite data (Sentinel 1 and 2), in combination with the available lidar data, for integrated image segmentation in order to locate and identify “lost” ancient Maya settlements (aguadas, buildings and platforms), hidden under the thick forest canopy. The effort is aimed towards the use of AI and EO towards the protection of the cultural heritage.

The competition is organized as ECML PKDD 2021 Discovery Challenge “Discover the mysteries of the Maya” (https://2021.ecmlpkdd.org/?page_id=1647). The winners of the competition, beside being invited to present their solutions at this year's ECML PKDD 2021 Discovery Challenge Track, will also receive money prizes. The competition deadline is July 1st, 2021.

More details are available at https://biasvariancelabs.github.io/maya_challenge/

The competition is organized by:
Bias Variance Labs, Slovenia
ZRC SAZU, Slovenia
Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia
Phi-Lab, ESRIN, European Space Agency, Italy

Best regards,
Nikola Simidjievski, also on behalf of the other co-organizers