First IAIFI Colloquium: Friday September 17 at 2 pm

Marisa LaFleur

Sep 18, 2021, 11:07:10 PM9/18/21
to Machine Learning News

This Friday, the Institute for Artificial Intelligence and Fundamental Interactions will host its first public colloquium of the semester. We hope that you will join us!

Surya Ganguli

Friday, September 17, 2:00PM-3:00PM Boston time

"Understanding computation using physics and exploiting physics for computation"

Zoom link: https://mit.zoom.us/j/91200832411

YouTube (live or afterwards): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCueoFcGm_15kSB-wDd4CBZA

Abstract: We are witnessing an exciting interplay between physics, computation and neurobiology that spans in multiple directions. In one direction we can use the power of complex systems analysis, developed in theoretical physics and applied mathematics, to elucidate design principles governing how neural networks, both biological and artificial, learn and function. In another direction, we can exploit novel physics to instantiate new kinds of quantum neuromorphic computers using spins and photons. We will give several vignettes in both directions, including: (1) determining the best optimization problem to solve in order to perform regression in high dimensions; (2) deriving the detailed structure of the primate retina by analyzing optimal convolutional auto-encoders of natural movies; (3) describing and analyzing a quantum associative memory instantiated in a multimode cavity QED system; (4) understanding the geometry and dynamics of high dimensional optimization in the classical limit of a dissipative many-body quantum optimizer comprised of interacting photons.

View the full Fall 2021 IAIFI Colloquium schedule here

Best regards,

Jim Halverson, IAIFI Colloquium Organizer
Marisa LaFleur, IAIFI Project Manager