Postdoctoral Researcher position at Microsoft Research New York City in FATE

Hal Daume

Dec 6, 2021, 7:44:36 PM12/6/21
to ml-...@googlegroups.com

Dear colleagues –

The Fairness, Accountability, Transparency, and Ethics (FATE) research group at Microsoft Research New York City (MSR NYC) is looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher to start July 2022 (deadline December 15 for full consideration). This two-year position is an ideal opportunity for an emerging scholar whose work focuses on the societal implications of AI and machine learning.

Job Posting: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/1200448/Post-Doc-Researcher-FATE-Microsoft-Research

FATE Group: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/group/fate/

The Postdoctoral Researcher will have the opportunity to pursue their own research agenda while interacting with prominent researchers and practitioners. The FATE research group at MSR NYC currently includes Solon Barocas, Alexandra Chouldechova, Kate Crawford, Hal Daumé, Miro Dudík, Hanna Wallach, and Jennifer Wortman Vaughan, and has close collaborations with researchers at MSR FATE Montréal (Nicolas Le Roux, Q. Vera Liao, Alexandra Olteanu, and Koustuv Saha) as well as other parts of Microsoft. The Postdoc will also receive a competitive salary and benefits package and are eligible for relocation expenses.

We are also hiring a postdoc whose work bridges machine learning

any any of our other focus areas (including FATE), which you may also be interested in: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/1196274/Post-Doc-Researcher-Machine-Learning-Interdisciplinary-Microsoft-Research. And we're also looking for interns: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/1191774/Research-Intern-Fairness-Accountability-Transparency-and-Ethics

Microsoft Research offers an exhilarating and supportive environment for cutting-edge, multidisciplinary research, both theoretical and applied, with access to an extraordinary diversity of data sources, an open publications policy, and close links to top academic institutions around the world.

We seek applicants with a demonstrated interest in FATE-related topics and a desire to work in a highly interdisciplinary environment that includes researchers from computer science, statistics, social sciences, humanities, and other fields. Applicants should have a well-established research track record, evidenced by notable journal or conference publications and broader contributions to the research community.

We welcome candidates with a background in a technical field (such as machine learning, AI, statistics, NLP, computer vision, and related fields) as well as candidates with a socio-technical orientation (such as those in HCI, information science, sociology, anthropology, science and technology studies, media studies, law, history of science, and related fields).

Applicants must have completed their PhD, including submission of their dissertation, prior to joining MSR NYC (i.e., dissertation submitted, and degree preferably conferred by July 2022). We encourage candidates with tenure-track job offers from other institutions to apply, provided they are able to defer their start date by at least one year to accept our position.

We are committed to building an inclusive, diverse, and pluralistic research environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, as well as students with non-traditional backgrounds. We work collectively to make Microsoft Research a welcoming and conducive space for all researchers.

To be assured of full consideration, all application materials, including reference letters, need to be received by December 15, 2021. Applications received after that date may or may not be considered.

Please feel free to contact Hal Daumé m...@hal3.name or Kate Crawford ka...@microsoft.com (or any other member of the group) if you have any questions.