upgrade from 13 to 14

Jim Pazarena

Jun 26, 2024, 7:20:45 PM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org
can I upgrade directly from 13.3 to 14.1 ?
Or should I slide to an interim 14.0, then to 14.1 ?

--
Jim Pazarena fqu...@paz.bz
Haida Gwaii - British Columbia - Canada

TR Kellers, Sr

Jun 26, 2024, 8:48:06 PM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to Jim Pazarena, freebsd-...@freebsd.org

> On Jun 26, 2024, at 7:20 PM, Jim Pazarena <fqu...@paz.bz> wrote:
>
> can I upgrade directly from 13.3 to 14.1 ?
I upgraded from 13.3-RELEASE to 14.1-RELEASE using Freebsd-update.

The upgrade was without any significant issues, but be prepared to reinstall most packages in the system.

I didn’t use packages for that upgrade as it is my habit to build everything from ports.
#yes | portmaster -aG
handled most everything successfully, though /usr/ports/UPDATING should be consulted for the Python 3.11 and dependencies upgrade.

There were some ports where I had to make deinstall && make depends && make install clean to get the upgrade to complete, but that was not a significant obstacle.

Upgrades were done from both arch64 and amd64 architecture instances.

Tim

Graham Perrin

12:40 AM (9 hours ago) 12:40 AM
to ques...@freebsd.org
On 27/06/2024 00:20, Jim Pazarena wrote:

> can I upgrade directly from 13.3 to 14.1 ? …

Do not skip the update that must precede the upgrade.

<https://www.freebsd.org/releases/14.1R/>, installation information.

Also, do read the release notes for 14.0. The loader in particular.

Edward Sanford Sutton, III

5:50 AM (4 hours ago) 5:50 AM
to ques...@freebsd.org
On 6/29/24 21:39, Graham Perrin wrote:
> On 27/06/2024 00:20, Jim Pazarena wrote:
>
>> can I upgrade directly from 13.3 to 14.1 ? …
>
> Do not skip the update that must precede the upgrade.

Did you mean any other steps to take besides running `freebsd-update
fetch;freebsd-update install`?

I thought freebsd-update takes care of such steps with the exception of
it does not update itself separately before starting the update and some
freebsd-update versions have had known bugs that caused issues (fixed by
updating to a certain version/patch range before upgrading further). My
attempt to follow changes to freebsd-update then lead me to believe that
a newer copy can be (manually) downloaded and ran on an older system to
update it without the need to stop at versions inbetween to pick up
freebsd-update bugfixes.