startif and ipv6 slaac

Ede Wolf

Jun 30, 2024, 8:41:42 AM (6 days ago) Jun 30
to FreeBSD Questions
Hello,

not exactly sure, but I believe, with the switch from rc.conf to
start_if.ifname I do not get any ipv6 addresses any more - besides link
local.

Running "rtsol -D ifname" configures the address, so it is not an issue
of the advertising deamon - especially since other clients on that link
do get their address assigned as well.
Hence I suppose, I am having a configuration issue, so here we go:

# cat /etc/start_if.re0
ifconfig $1 mtu 8192
ifconfig $1 inet6 -ifdisabled
ifconfig $1 inet6 auto_linklocal
ifconfig $1 inet6 accept_rtadv
up

Surprisingly, according to ifconfig the interface does accept ra:

# ifconfig re0 inet6
re0: flags=1008843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,LOWER_UP>
metric 0 mtu 8192

options=82098<VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
inet6 fe80::9b24:afff:f4d5:538%re0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
nd6 options=23<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

However, no address is being assigned, unless of course I am running
rtsol -D on that interface. Waited for more than 10 minutes after
reboot, that should be sufficient.

Any ideas, what I may be missing?

Thanks

Ede