Orphaned packages

Gerard E. Seibert

Jun 16, 2024, 1:08:42 PM (14 days ago) Jun 16
to ques...@freebsd.org
I recently updated to FreeBSD 14.1-RELEASE. I use pourdriere and
updated its jail. I then ran "/usr/sbin/pkg version -voPL= | sort -d"
to get a list of packages that needed updating. There are over a dozen
files listed as "orphaned" in the list. I fed the list to poudriere and
it appears to have updated all of the packages; however when I ran
"/usr/sbin/pkg version -voPL= | sort -d" again, it still listed the
same packaged as orphaned.

Shouldn't poudriere have taken care of this automatically, or is there
something I have to do to get things in order?

Thanks!

D'Arcy Cain

Jun 16, 2024, 4:20:03 PM (14 days ago) Jun 16
to ques...@freebsd.org
I ran that command on my build server and the output seemed reasonable.
I had a few packages that needed updating. Of more interest was running
it on one of my client servers and got "pkg: Cannot find ports tree:
unable to open /usr/ports/Makefile". Perhaps your /usr/ports is not the
same as the ports tree that poudriere uses. The pkg command has a
--jail option but when I added that it gave me an invalid option error.

I have /usr/ports set as a symlink to my primary jail's ports folder.
Maybe that's why mine is more normal.

ports -> /usr/local/poudriere/ports/local

Cheers.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <da...@druid.net> | Democracy is three wolves
IM: da...@Vex.Net, VoIP: sip:da...@druid.net

doug

Jun 19, 2024, 6:26:04 PM (11 days ago) Jun 19
to D'Arcy Cain, ques...@freebsd.org
On Sun, 16 Jun 2024, D'Arcy Cain wrote:

> On 2024-06-16 13:02, Gerard E. Seibert wrote:
>> I recently updated to FreeBSD 14.1-RELEASE. I use pourdriere and
>> updated its jail. I then ran "/usr/sbin/pkg version -voPL= | sort -d"
>> to get a list of packages that needed updating. There are over a dozen
>> files listed as "orphaned" in the list. I fed the list to poudriere and
>> it appears to have updated all of the packages; however when I ran
>> "/usr/sbin/pkg version -voPL= | sort -d" again, it still listed the
>> same packaged as orphaned.
>>
>> Shouldn't poudriere have taken care of this automatically, or is there
>> something I have to do to get things in order?
>
> I ran that command on my build server and the output seemed reasonable. I had
> a few packages that needed updating. Of more interest was running it on one
> of my client servers and got "pkg: Cannot find ports tree: unable to open
> /usr/ports/Makefile". Perhaps your /usr/ports is not the same as the ports
> tree that poudriere uses. The pkg command has a --jail option but when I
> added that it gave me an invalid option error.
>
> I have /usr/ports set as a symlink to my primary jail's ports folder. Maybe
> that's why mine is more normal.
>
> ports -> /usr/local/poudriere/ports/local

pkg alias -- give a list of commands
pkg prime-origins -- lists commands installed
pkg autoremove -- removes orphaned packages

On a mail server I run:

doug# pkg prime-origins
mail/alpine
mail/cyrus-imapd30
security/cyrus-sasl2-sql
mail/imapsync
databases/mysql57-server
ports-mgmt/pkg
mail/postfix
net/rsync
doug# pkg autoremove
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Nothing to do.

You have to be root to do autoremove. It lists the packages that will be
remove and asks yes or no.

Doug