non-X11 keyboard sluggishness on Thinkpad T16

William Bulley

Jun 28, 2024, 12:17:19 PM (2 days ago) Jun 28
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org
I have just loaded FreeBSD-15.0-CURRENT-amd64 onto a Thinkpad T16.

I experienced significant slowness of response (or sluggishness)
with any native keyboard keypress. It does allow me to login as
root, but it is a very time consuming process.

Hooking up an external USB keyboard, and everything worked fine.

I have not seen this happen in the past loading FreeBSD onto
a Thinkpad. I have seached the net for clues, but it seems
most of the hits are problems using Xorg/x11, while this is
a virtual terminal situation -- I have yet to install any
ports, let alone Xorg/x11.

In order to avoid the system hanging during the installation
using a thumbdrive (memstick) I had to "unset" an entry in
/boot/device.hints "hint.uart.1.at".

I don't know which area to focus on: 15.0-CURRENT, the BIOS,
the T16 itself, or something about virtual terminals.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--
William Bulley
E-MAIL: w...@umich.edu