h.264 Encoding Profile Selection

jeffrey.caplan

May 1, 2012, 11:37:27 AM5/1/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I was wondering if anyone has looked into adding an option in ML to
change the h.264 encoding profile used? Aside from the 5dmkiii, I
realize the other cameras currently supported don't have as much
horsepower in the CPU department, but with smart changes, such as
limiting FPS and potentially the bitrate, might it be possible to use
one of the High profiles (vs the Baseline) for performing h.264
encoding? Seems like if the CPU could support it without having to
reduce the bitrate too much, then that would be a HUGE deal for
improving video quality. Thoughts?

Lots of good info here: http://william-patin.de/blog/canon-and-the-h-264-profile/

Jeff

jeffrey.caplan

Jul 10, 2012, 2:07:35 AM7/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Just wondering if anyone has taken a look at this and what their thoughts are..?

jeffrey.caplan

Aug 27, 2012, 11:53:25 PM8/27/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Nothing from anyone?  I'd look into this myself, but I don't have the time to put a build environment together much less figure out how to modify the encoding profile used.  :\

Still, it would be nice to hear from some encoding/hardware experts in here if this is even feasible.

Lionel Davey

Aug 28, 2012, 2:11:18 AM8/28/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
The profile is just a flag.  Changing the profile will in no way change what the Canon encoder is capable of.

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/