Unified Magic Lantern - new release

Alex

Aug 22, 2011, 3:17:26 PM8/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Time for a new stable release :)

Most important changes since July 8, 2011:

* 60D:

- Upgraded ML to 60D firmware 1.1.0.
- To upgrade from 1.0.9 ML, the safest method is to format your cards,
run the Canon firmware upgrade, then copy new ML files and make your
cards bootable.
- Photo mode tweak: turn off main shooting screen with a long
half-shutter press.
- Battery indicator in percentage, on the top bar
- Movie mode remap on C position
- Slit-scan pictures are working now

* 550D:

- Easier to access intermediate ISO steps in movie mode (it's just
like you would change ISO with standard firmware)
- Flash button in Movie mode toggles display profiles (you can
customize it to toggle false color or any other LiveView tool);

* 600D:
- A new series of bugfixes
- Seamless shortcut for enabling/disabling 3x zoom mode (DISP + Zoom In/Out).
- Audio module on 600D is still disabled; the audio chip seems
different than in 5D2/550D/60D/500D (at least the registers have
different addresses). I wasn't able to figure it out yet; having
access to a camera for tests could help.

* All cameras:

- Fixed a few stability issues and bugs regarding intervalometer,
config autosave, bracketing, free space, bottom bar, magic zoom...
- Simplified install method for new users: the install procedure is
now basically "download, unzip, upgrade firmware and reboot". Check
the install guide for details:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install (translations
available in German, Czech, Spanish, French, Italian, Chinese
Simplified and Japanese)

Existing ML users can still use the old method (with EOSCard and MacBoot).

- New screen layout, with larger fonts and color-coded shooting
settings, inspired from AJ, and white-on-black theme for in-camera
help (press DISP or INFO in LiveView if you don't see it);
- Simplified bitrate control; QScale is only available as a hidden
setting, CBR is much more reliable;
- Ported AF patterns from 400plus (for photo mode only);
- You can use a custom picture style for recording (toggled
automagically); for example, you can record with Cinestyle and preview
with Neutral;
- Live defishing preview in the camera (it turns your fisheye into a
rectilinear ultra-wide lens)
- Ability to display either real or 35mm equivalent lens focal length
(patch from msi);
- Auto exposure algorithm for timelapse (it automates ISO and shutter);
- Some new cropmarks, including a few ones for photo mode.
- Found the true shutter counter, including LiveView actuations and
quick focus attempts. Right now I have 26767 shutter actuations on 60D
and 102003 on 550D.
- Safety stuff: this autoexec.bin will refuse to start on a different
camera camera (or on an incorrect firmware version)
- User guide in wiki format, with pictures:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide (you can improve
and/or translate it in your language)
- Complete list of changes here:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changesets
- And, of course, a nice surprise under "Don't click me" :)

Other news: 50D and 1100D ports started, but they are still in very
early stages. Most probably, on 50D will run a stripped-down version
of Magic Lantern only with photo functionality. Testers and developers
are welcome.

Also, the HDMI monitor from SmallHD is on its way to me, hopefully
will arrive these days.

The same ML card is compatible with all these cameras (so there's a
single download link now):
- 550D 1.0.9
- 60D 1.1.0
- 600D 1.0.1

You need to unzip all the files on the card (not just autoexec.bin).
http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011Aug22.550D.109.60D.110.600D.101.alex.zip

Enjoy!

P.S. If you like Magic Lantern, you can buy me a pizza here :)
http://goo.gl/79JgB

arm.indy

Aug 22, 2011, 3:25:06 PM8/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
you're doing an amazing work Alex !

Indy
> - User guide in wiki format, with pictures:http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide(you can improve
> and/or translate it in your language)
> - Complete list of changes here:https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changesets
> - And, of course, a nice surprise under "Don't click me" :)
>
> Other news: 50D and 1100D ports started, but they are still in very
> early stages. Most probably, on 50D will run a stripped-down version
> of Magic Lantern only with photo functionality. Testers and developers
> are welcome.
>
> Also, the HDMI monitor from SmallHD is on its way to me, hopefully
> will arrive these days.
>
> The same ML card is compatible with all these cameras (so there's a
> single download link now):
> - 550D 1.0.9
> - 60D 1.1.0
> - 600D 1.0.1
>
> You need to unzip all the files on the card (not just autoexec.bin).http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011...

Alex

Aug 22, 2011, 3:29:18 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Indy :)

Actually I'm building upon Trammell's, AJ's and your low-level work
(this is called "Standing on the shoulders of giants").

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

unity2k

Aug 22, 2011, 3:42:46 PM8/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I want to chime in with heaps of praise for everyone's efforts. It
will be a sad day when Canon implements all of these changes or nabs
you guys to work directly for them, denying us the opportunity to
benefit so frequently from what you guys are gifting us with. My
appreciation for you have given me is off the chart.

JW
> > - User guide in wiki format, with pictures:http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide(youcan improve
> > and/or translate it in your language)
> > - Complete list of changes here:https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changesets
> > - And, of course, a nice surprise under "Don't click me" :)
>
> > Other news: 50D and 1100D ports started, but they are still in very
> > early stages. Most probably, on 50D will run a stripped-down version
> > of Magic Lantern only with photo functionality. Testers and developers
> > are welcome.
>
> > Also, the HDMI monitor from SmallHD is on its way to me, hopefully
> > will arrive these days.
>
> > The same ML card is compatible with all these cameras (so there's a
> > single download link now):
> > - 550D 1.0.9
> > - 60D 1.1.0
> > - 600D 1.0.1
>
> > You need to unzip all the files on the card (not just autoexec.bin).http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011...
>
> > Enjoy!
>
> > P.S. If you like Magic Lantern, you can buy me a pizza here :)http://goo.gl/79JgB- Hide quoted text -

Morgan Look

Aug 22, 2011, 4:09:43 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Stunning to think it was only about a year ago that I got the 550D, and started lurking on this list. Hoping that some day I'd see a few of the ML features find their way into my camera.

I read a review the other day that said the Sony NEX3 gained focus peaking through an official firmware upgrade.
Looks like at least one of the manufacturers is starting to take notice.

Good work.

Morgan.

Alex

Aug 22, 2011, 4:19:20 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
An year ago I was almost ready to get a Pentax K-x :)

Interesting news about focus peaking, seems much more polished than my
implementation.

"Sztupák Sz. Zsolt"

Aug 22, 2011, 4:22:43 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I don't think that there is any problem with your implementation...
apart from the slight lagging.

SztupY
2011.08.22. 22:19 keltez�ssel, Alex �rta:

Ivo Silva

Aug 22, 2011, 4:28:17 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

So, is it safe to click where it says not to click? What happens exactly?

Morgan Look

Aug 22, 2011, 4:31:47 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Does the 600D provide many audio functions out of the box? Say to allow for always-on level meters, and volume adjustment shortcuts.
These are the two most important audio features I feel, It's a pain to go into the menu just to even see if your levels are too high.

I haven't installed ML on the 600D yet (it belongs to the gf), but it looks like this might be the release to try.

Morgan.

Alex

Aug 22, 2011, 4:41:39 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On 600D you can only see the audio meters during recording. ML leaves
all the audio settings untouched.

It's possible that analog gain (i.e. in-camera preamps) are at the
maximum level; in this case, being able to turn them off from ML would
result in better audio (with less noise).
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/498727-agc-disable-magic-lantern-vs-juicedlink-2.html

But the problem is that audio chip may be different (addresses used in
audio_ic_read/write are not the same as in 5D2, 550D, 60D, 600D and
500D).

Also, the audio stuff is very difficult to debug via Skype, since I
can't just probe various registers myself and listen to the changes.
Scrax and me tried hard to fix this (he sent me test videos), but I'm
afraid I can't do more in this direction without having a 600D in my
hands.

Morgan Look

Aug 22, 2011, 4:54:36 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Given the number of volume steps in the Canon menu i just assumed that it was dithering the analogue and digital gain values.

Someone who's pulled their cam apart might be able to tell us what the part number on the audio chip is, assuming they can identify it.
Confirming it's the same, or getting a data sheet if it's different would obviously be a big help.

Morgan.

Morgan Look

Aug 22, 2011, 5:17:16 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I'll email these guys to see if they can help us identify the audio IC.
http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials/canon-t3i

They've clearly taken one apart, so hopefully they'll be able to give us a part number or some higher res photos of the PCB.

Morgan.

Morgan Look

Aug 22, 2011, 5:20:14 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I'll paste this in here too, incase anyone is feeling really brave ;-)

The 5D2, 550D and 60D have an asahi-kasei AK4646 chip which looks something like this.

PastedGraphic-1.tiff
PastedGraphic-2.tiff

cristian paradiso

Aug 22, 2011, 6:44:25 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Amazing stuff Alex...thanks one more time. Now my only wish as you well know it is compatibility with smallhd dp6 and clip number shown on screen before recording :) thanks again for the huge work!

Aug 22, 2011, 6:51:03 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Alex one more thing, some previous release would allow me to see the cropmarks on playmode to review clips with them...is it stil on? i remember you had to press Q and a P would appear next to the cropmarks text and that way it was shown on playmode. has it been removed or what? thanks

Aug 22, 2011, 7:01:37 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
press Q during playback, but i wish it would stay ON all the time when you press Q and wouldnt disappear when clip ends.

Paul Nolan

Aug 22, 2011, 8:26:31 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Nice work! Would it be possible to change the behavior of the DISP+Zoom
In/Out buttons on the 600D to how it was before though where you could
go from 1x to 3-10x? It seemed more intuitive. MagicZoom in 3x mode
works now which is cool, although if you go back to 1x mode afterwards
it is scrambled.

Thanks,
--
Paul Nolan, CEO Idruna Software Inc.

Mandi

Aug 22, 2011, 8:55:15 PM8/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I never knew about the cropmarks during preview!!! Thats
smart!!! ......Walks to camera..... tries it.... WOW!

I would love to see audio levels in preview!!! Is it possible?!? By
pressing 'Av' :)

And to have more level options for analog gain would be sweet, like
6db.

Awesome
Build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Veto

Aug 22, 2011, 9:27:26 PM8/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
> Other news: 50D and 1100D ports started, but they are still in very
> early stages. Most probably, on 50D will run a stripped-down version
> of Magic Lantern only with photo functionality. Testers and developers
> are welcome.

Sweet... ( photo functionality )! That's all I'd really want for my
50D!
> - User guide in wiki format, with pictures:http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide(you can improve
> and/or translate it in your language)
> - Complete list of changes here:https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changesets
> - And, of course, a nice surprise under "Don't click me" :)
>
> Other news: 50D and 1100D ports started, but they are still in very
> early stages. Most probably, on 50D will run a stripped-down version
> of Magic Lantern only with photo functionality. Testers and developers
> are welcome.
>
> Also, the HDMI monitor from SmallHD is on its way to me, hopefully
> will arrive these days.
>
> The same ML card is compatible with all these cameras (so there's a
> single download link now):
> - 550D 1.0.9
> - 60D 1.1.0
> - 600D 1.0.1
>
> You need to unzip all the files on the card (not just autoexec.bin).http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011...

Morgan Look

Aug 22, 2011, 11:41:15 PM8/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately the audio IC simply doesn't allow any analogue gain values other than those which are made available in ML.

I guess if you had a -6dB attenuator on your input that would effectively give you more options at the bottom end. 4, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26.
It would mean you had more noise (from the extra analogue amp gain), and your maximum analogue gain would be lower.

If you split your mono-Lav signal and have one channel attenuated -6dB you'd have the best of both worlds.

Good luck.

Morgan.

Alex

Aug 23, 2011, 1:27:47 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> Would it be possible to change the behavior of the DISP+Zoom In/Out buttons on the 600D to how it was before though where you could go from 1x to 3-10x?

Zoom higher than 3x is done with loss of quality, so I don't see any
reason for ML to support it. 3x has the best possible image quality
from 600D, judging after recording buffer size :)

Morgan Look

Aug 23, 2011, 3:37:30 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I get an error about too many crop marks, this can be fixed in Mac OSX by going in with terminal and deleting the "dot files".
I believe simply browsing to the cropmks folder is enough to generate these files, so it's pretty easy to get them by accident.

Any chance ML could automatically ignore any file starting with a period just to stop this in future?

Morgan.

Alex

Aug 23, 2011, 3:44:26 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
How do "dot files" appear in ML menu?

ML ignores files starting with a dot (I've applied a patch from Mac
users a while ago), so I thought this was fixed. I tried adding a dot
to some BMP files now, but they show up as CINESC~1.BMP.

Alex

Aug 23, 2011, 3:52:28 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
This works for me for ignoring cropmarks renamed to ".CINESCOP.BMP"
for example (camera only sees short 8.3 filenames, i.e. CINESC~1.BMP).
Now ML also checks for a tilde in the file name.

Probably the previous fix only worked on ExFAT cards, where the camera
sees case-sensitive file names (not sure if 8.3 or not).

So... ancient DOS/Windows limitation affecting Mac users?!

autoexec.bin

Morgan Look

Aug 23, 2011, 4:39:52 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
If I delete a bunch of cropmarks but leave the dot underscore files for the ones that remain (to avoid the too many cropmarks error).
ML shows the file as called _16X9_~1.BMP (note it starts with _ not ._ ) even though in OSX they clearly show as starting with ._ (dot underscore).

mogsbook:cropmks mogs$ ls -la
total 896
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 mogs staff 32768 23 Aug 20:26 .
drwxrwxrwx 1 mogs staff 32768 23 Aug 20:30 ..
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mogs staff 4096 23 Aug 20:30 ._16x9_blk.bmp
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mogs staff 4096 23 Aug 20:30 ._CineSco2.bmp
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mogs staff 4096 23 Aug 20:30 ._CrssMtr1.bmp
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mogs staff 4096 23 Aug 20:30 ._Passport.bmp
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mogs staff 4096 23 Aug 20:30 ._PhiPhoto.bmp
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mogs staff 4096 23 Aug 20:30 ._PhiVideo.bmp
-rwxrwxrwx@ 1 mogs staff 4920 22 Aug 22:00 16x9_blk.bmp
-rwxrwxrwx@ 1 mogs staff 7420 22 Aug 22:00 CineSco2.bmp
-rwxrwxrwx@ 1 mogs staff 11712 22 Aug 22:00 CrssMtr1.bmp
-rwxrwxrwx@ 1 mogs staff 19748 22 Aug 22:00 Passport.bmp
-rwxrwxrwx@ 1 mogs staff 12036 22 Aug 22:00 PhiPhoto.bmp
-rwxrwxrwx@ 1 mogs staff 12894 22 Aug 22:00 PhiVideo.bmp

After some messing around it seems the "dot underscore" files are created at the time the files are copied to the card.
I think in technical terms what is happening is that the thumbnails are stored in the resource fork, when they get copied to a Fat32 volume the thumbnails are copied into a dot underscore file.

No amount of browsing/previewing the files once they are on the card seems to create these files, only copying them creates it (so the problem only occurs once if you delete the problem files after install).

Morgan Look

Aug 23, 2011, 4:49:57 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
So copying the full set of cropmarks over again and checking that the dot underscore files exist in osx.

This build correctly ignores the extra files.

Hmm... but thinking about this... checking for a tilde is not a guarantee that it will ignore the hidden file.

Imagine someone created a crop file with a very short name... eg CROP.BMP this would end up with a hidden file called ._CROP.BMP no need to have a tilde since it didn't push the file name past the 8.3 limit (it may be bad for ML to attempt to load the dot file at all).

See my previous post for more technical info on what's going on with the file names.

Thanks.

Morgan.

Alex

Aug 23, 2011, 4:55:31 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Okay, so this one ignores files starting with a dot or with an
underscore. Let me know if it works without side effects.
autoexec.bin

Morgan Look

Aug 23, 2011, 4:56:59 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I just tested the crop.bmp / ._crop.bmp case and ML does seem to ignore the dot file. Not sure on what criteria but it's working.

One more thing (I think someone else already reported this) we installed the release on the 600D and everything we tested worked nicely, except the magic zoom is just a box of corrupt noise.

Morgan.

Alex

Aug 23, 2011, 5:04:24 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> on the 600D [...] magic zoom is just a box of corrupt noise.

In which mode? On early 60D ports, going to Play mode, or taking a
picture, or pressing record usually fixed this problem (and now
probably it's the same thing).

Morgan Look

Aug 23, 2011, 5:06:33 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Looks good.

Malcolm Debono

Aug 23, 2011, 5:14:47 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Does the 'don't click me' item actually do anything apart from the beep?

Alex

Aug 23, 2011, 5:15:48 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
No, it only does the beep.

Maybe it can be turned into something useful, any ideas?

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Malcolm Debono <mdeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does the 'don't click me' item actually do anything apart from the beep?

Morgan Look

Aug 23, 2011, 5:16:55 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I only tested it once because it came up all corrupt. Haha, you know what... Now I can't seem to reproduce the problem! It works flawlessly :-)

From memory it would've simply been a matter of enabling the option, and pressing record then zoom. But since I can't make it happen again... who knows!
I guess I had been in the process of showing my partner each menu option and observing the result.

I'll let you know if I can make it happen again.

Morgan.

Malcolm Debono

Aug 23, 2011, 5:21:02 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Interesting!

Maybe it could be used as an indicator when an action happens, such as when taking a silent picture or for every image in a timelapse? Obviously this should be an optional feature (maybe a global sound option).

Morgan Look

Aug 23, 2011, 5:29:18 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Another very minor bug. only happens on 600D not 550D.

If you hold down the flash key, and roll the wheel then release the flash button. The iso +/- and kel +/- display stays on the screen and behaves as if the flash key was still held down.
I was secretly hoping this would be a shortcut for getting intermediate ISO values since the ISO+wheel trick doesn't work, unfortunately it still just changes the shutter speed.

Morgan.

Alex

Aug 23, 2011, 5:37:37 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
You already have the beep option in Canon menu; ML can "listen" to it.

Beep for every image in timelapse sounds nice. Here's a quick
implementation (only tested on 550D); it should enable beep for all
pictures taken from ML (intervalometer, motion detection, whatever).

autoexec.bin

scrax

Aug 23, 2011, 8:25:37 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
They are generated by Finder and that's probably because there are some extended attributes that Osx is trying to preserve.
With the bmp I made the ._ file are not generated and so I believe that there is some Extended Attributes, ACLs, or Resource forks in the file from the .zip that Osx is trying to "save".

scrax

Aug 23, 2011, 8:30:21 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Start the camera
go to movie mode,
if it is 1080p Magic Focus and Peak Focus are OK
set it at 3x,
Magic Zoom and Peak Focus are gone

Is this the problem?

Ash McKenzie

Aug 23, 2011, 8:38:22 AM8/23/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I can confirm,

On boot in 1080 magic zoom fine

Enter 3x magic zoom fine

Exit 3x magic zoom broken (only fixed by removing battery, simple
power off does not fix magic zoom)

Alex

Aug 23, 2011, 8:39:24 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Does starting/stopping record fix magic zoom?

scrax

Aug 23, 2011, 8:40:18 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I like this bug, please leave it. :)

@mogs to have the intermediate ISO you need to keep pressed flash + right or left arrow instead of the scrollwheel

or with your finding

You can press flash+ scrollwheel and then instead of follow focus arrows will be used for ISO and Kelvin balance until flash is pressed again.

Alex

Aug 23, 2011, 8:43:45 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
So this is kind of sticky flash button? :) Nice trick.

scrax

Aug 23, 2011, 8:51:23 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Works on 600D if beep is enabled in canon menu.

scrax

Aug 23, 2011, 8:56:14 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes it is, but I found a problem. If ISO and kelvin are keept on with this trick menu can't be navigated because arrow are used by ISO and Kelvin.
And this is a side effect not really nice...

So maybe better fix the bug and think about another way to have this sticky ISO function?

scrax

Aug 23, 2011, 10:22:00 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
But there is no beep when changing patterns, is this correct?

...oh yes this one is the previous changeset...

Alex

Aug 23, 2011, 10:28:11 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Now there is.

Anyway... after the movie recording "incident" it might not be 100%
safe to call the beep in the middle of taking a picture, so probably
it's best to enable it only for silent pictures and AF patterns, like
in this autoexec. I've also enabled it for screenshots.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:22 PM, scrax <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But there is no beep when changing patterns, is this correct?
> ...oh yes this one is the previous changeset...

autoexec.bin

scrax

Aug 23, 2011, 11:43:53 AM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Work good the Af patterns beep.

scrax

Aug 23, 2011, 12:56:29 PM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I've tried the new .fir with the scrollwheel confirmations instead of the 3 sec counter, and on 600D I can't reset the bootflag, I see the BUSY dialog flickering with the green on black screen that confirm ML installation, finished that I'm again at the green on black screen instead of the white on black one.

Alex

Aug 23, 2011, 2:17:26 PM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Can you make a short video showing the problem? I thought this works,
since this FIR was around since August 9 if I remember well.

I'm trying to simplify the Wiki page, hopefully new users will find
the downloads easier. I find it really odd that users are posting
"where is the latest release?" right after announcing it. Do you have
any suggestions?

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified

I've stolen a few ideas from Scrax :)

Morgan Look

Aug 23, 2011, 3:31:42 PM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah that reminds me, we never saw the green sucess screen with the 600D

it just hung on the one telling you it's installing (I forget what it says), but it never changed to a successfully installed screen.

It did install, and it did make the card bootable, so that's good.  But the visual feedback wasn't there.

Morgan.

On 24/08/2011, at 4:56 AM, scrax wrote:

I've tried the new .fir with the scrollwheel confirmations instead of the 3 sec counter, and on 600D I can't reset the bootflag, I see the BUSY dialog flickering with the green on black screen that confirm ML installation, finished that I'm again at the green on black screen instead of the white on black one.

Morgan Look

Aug 23, 2011, 3:35:52 PM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
How about a http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Latest link.

it can go to the same place, but people will know (or think) they have the latest stable

I think also some people are under the impression that releases on the wiki are somehow out of date, so they must ask in here for a new version.
(and in some ways they are right, for example we've fixed the cropmarks bug since your release).

Morgan.

Alex

Aug 23, 2011, 3:38:22 PM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
That's really strange, since the installer is compiled from the same
source for all cameras (only constants and stubs differ, there's no
camera-specific code). And I wonder why nobody reported this glitch.

Can you try with this FIR? (I've only compiled it again).

ml-600d-101.fir

Tim

Aug 23, 2011, 3:40:07 PM8/23/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Please, please can you put the continuous auto-focussing back in the
unified release?

The unified version is so beautiful but I dearly miss the continuous
auto focus. Yes, I know, it got confused sometimes and used up memory
but it really is quite useful.

Thanks for a great job.

On Aug 22, 3:17 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Time for a new stable release :)

Jeppe Toustrup

Aug 23, 2011, 3:40:58 PM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Just a thought, get the camera to beep if it's about to run out of
battery or storage while filming/time lapsing, if that's possible?

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards
Jeppe Toustrup

Morgan Look

Aug 23, 2011, 3:47:31 PM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Will have to wait till this evening (it's 8am in New Zealand), but I'll give it a go.

I wonder what the chances are of subsequent attempts having differing results.
i.e. even if I were to run the original .fir again it may just decide to work that time anyway.

Morgan.

Shawn Wytch

Aug 23, 2011, 3:48:10 PM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
do we have to reformat with this new build or do we just copy the files i haven updated in about a month and a half dont know if anything new has happened that will make me have to reformat and have to boot the card again

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Email me at too...@gmail.com
Or call me at 316.312.5584 ask for Shawn

Shawn Wytch

Aug 23, 2011, 3:48:53 PM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
i second that for real

arm.indy

Aug 23, 2011, 3:50:58 PM8/23/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
For the record, the related sound in wav format is between 0xff45715c
and 0xff485f88 in 550d 108.
the function that plays it is
FF064294 StartPlayWaveData

well maybe we can turn the camera into a digital music player ?

Indy

Shawn Wytch

Aug 23, 2011, 3:52:34 PM8/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
i havent updated in awhile i here you guys saying the same files work on all cameras now do i have to reformat to put this file on my card or should it just work?