60D 1.1.1 firmware version available - required for the upcoming 2.3 release

Colin Peart

Jul 18, 2012, 6:19:33 PM7/18/12
to ml-devel
I was just digging around and noticed (about a month after it came out) that there was a 1.1.1 60d firmware update.  Obviously, the first thing I did was to look at compatibility with magic lantern before I loaded it.

I noticed that the upcoming ML 2.3 release lists 1.1.1 as the required version for the 60D.

Although I did find emails in this list that mention that, I just wanted to raise the issue for any 60D users that might not have seen that change yet.  If I read everything correctly, when 2.3 comes out, I will need to upgrade my camera to 1.1.1 first.

Since the current stable ML version only supports 1.1.0 firmware, I am going to take a wild guess that I would be wise to upgrade in the following order, if I want everything to work without surprises:
1. Disable the disk boot flag using the ML firmware update
2. Using a clean card, upgrade the camera firmware to 1.1.1.
3. Update all of your ML cards to 2.3 from the distribution
4. Re-install ML/enable the disk boot flag and reboot the camera with the magic lantern card

Is that about right?  I guess if I have a non-ml-bootdisk-blessed, non-eye-fi card, I should be able to do the upgrade without disabling diskboot flag, but it might be a good idea anyways.

I wouldn't normally say anything, but since the 1.1.1 60D firmware is less than a month old, and I only just noticed it, I might not be the only one out there.

Looking forward to the release, and thanks for the awesome work.
--Colin

Colin Peart
cgap...@gmail.com

Alex

Jul 18, 2012, 6:31:28 PM7/18/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Almost there.

Step 1 is not needed, the firmware can be updated with bootflag
active. Bootflag will not disappear after update.
Step 4 is optional, you might only need to make the clean bootable again.

Hope this helps - http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install