Magic Lantern 0.2.0 RC1 for 550D firmware 1.0.9

6898 views
Skip to first unread message

Alex

unread,
Dec 19, 2010, 1:36:10 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
After lots of testing and bug fixing, we believe the new Magic Lantern
for 550D firmware 1.0.9 is stable enough to release it to the general
public.

You can find it on the main 550D wiki page:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/550D

Features:
* GUI menus: press the ERASE button to display them
* Bit rate control (QScale parameter) for the H.264 encoder
* Zebra stripes for overexposed / underexposed areas
* Spotmeter, histogram
* Cropmarks (16:9, Cinemascope, Fisheye)
* Simple intervalometer
* Trap Focus: camera takes a picture when something comes in focus
* Wireless trigger with the LCD face sensor & your own hand
* AE bracketing (like on 5D2 ML)
* Rack focus
* Stack focus (Live View only)
* Lens data computation
* Onscreen audio meters
* Manual audio gain, selectable input source, disable AGC and
digital filters
* Display time remaining during video recording
* Debug functions (display CMOS temperature, screenshot, logging)

We also have a new Windows tool for making the cards bootable
(EOSCard), and new install & user guides.

Even with all the testing this version has received, nobody can
guarantee it is bug-free. There is still a small risk in using this
software, and we want to fix all the bugs and improve it. Please read
the installation instructions carefully!

New developments will continue. Maybe coming soon: customizable ISO,
auto QScale, fluent zebras, better UI, scripting... suggestions
welcome.

Many thanks to all the Magic Lantern developers, contributors and
users who made possible this release!

Enjoy!
Alex

arm.indy

unread,
Dec 19, 2010, 2:03:53 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I would like to thank Alex for his huge work!

Indy

Pedro Barbosa

unread,
Dec 19, 2010, 2:24:00 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
great work Alex and the others who helped in this next release...

Morgan Look

unread,
Dec 19, 2010, 2:46:01 PM12/19/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Great work Alex.

Arm

unread,
Dec 19, 2010, 2:58:30 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
This Version works very well.
Anyway i found some bug.
During the play back mode, you cant hear any sounds that been recored.

Great job!!

de...@42u.de

unread,
Dec 19, 2010, 3:45:38 PM12/19/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On 12/19/2010 08:58 PM, Arm wrote:
> This Version works very well.
> Anyway i found some bug.
> During the play back mode, you cant hear any sounds that been recored.
I fixed it already, update your sources and recompile.

Deti

Alex

unread,
Dec 19, 2010, 4:02:28 PM12/19/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Test build for in-camera audio playback & custom ISO (ISO 25600 and 50
steps between ISO 100 and ISO 8000). Unzip autoexec.bin over the 0.2.0
files on the card.

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/
>
> To post to this group, send email to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> ml-devel+u...@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en

magiclantern-2010Dec19.550d.fw109.iso+playback.alex.zip

h4nz

unread,
Dec 19, 2010, 4:56:51 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
thx alex,
fine work!!
h4nz

On 19 Dez., 22:02, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Test build for in-camera audio playback & custom ISO (ISO 25600 and 50
> steps between ISO 100 and ISO 8000). Unzip autoexec.bin over the 0.2.0
> files on the card.
>
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 10:45 PM,  <d...@42u.de> wrote:
> > On 12/19/2010 08:58 PM, Arm wrote:
>
> >> This Version works very well.
> >> Anyway i found some bug.
> >> During the play back mode, you cant hear any sounds that been recored.
>
> > I fixed it already, update your sources and recompile.
>
> > Deti
>
> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/
>
> > To post to this group, send email to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > ml-devel+u...@googlegroups.com
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en
>
>
>
>  magiclantern-2010Dec19.550d.fw109.iso+playback.alex.zip
> 59KAnzeigenHerunterladen

Piers

unread,
Dec 19, 2010, 7:50:45 PM12/19/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Jeez, 36 hours without reading the dev list and I'm hopelessly behind.

Deti, what did you actually do to fix the camera speaker? I've been presuming it's because ML sends audio to the line out (meaning you can wear headphones). Simply sending it back to the camera speaker would break that. (I had been thinking a menu to select, possibly replacing the output level one, which might be controllable from the wheel (as in-camera volume is))

Or, is it in fact a whole separate issue?

PG

M-L-Userrr

unread,
Dec 19, 2010, 4:32:00 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks very much ! Amazing stuff :) Now its faster to go through
ISO's .
And about this white balance thing, eosmovrec is capable of changing
white balance values in kelvins with my 550D,so maybe its sourcecode
would help with this a bit ?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eos-movrec/
>  magiclantern-2010Dec19.550d.fw109.iso+playback.alex.zip
> 59KZobaczPobierz

M-L-Userrr

unread,
Dec 19, 2010, 5:30:20 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development

ISO's above ISO6400 look the same so how about erasing them ? :) The
same is in photo mode without MLantern ,ISO H(12800)looks the same as
6400.

Alex

unread,
Dec 19, 2010, 11:18:25 PM12/19/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
ISO higher than 6400 is not possible in video, but in photo mode (M
and AV modes at least) they do work well. I've tested ISO 12800 vs
25600 with a picture at f5.6 and f8 and they came out with the same
brightness. Of course, the ISO 25600 was noisier... but still good for
instant messenger avatar :)

Deti

unread,
Dec 20, 2010, 2:35:53 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> Deti, what did you actually do to fix the camera speaker? I've been
I prevent the sounddev task from reconfiguring the audio chip when the
camera is in playback mode. This sends audio straight to the speaker or
audio output. I think it should work now as expected.

Deti

Piers

unread,
Dec 20, 2010, 6:23:00 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I agree it's best for now to turn it off, but I'd still like to see it switchable in a future version.. or, wait, is A/V out still active when in record?

Deti

unread,
Dec 20, 2010, 7:20:10 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes sure.

Deti

Alex

unread,
Dec 20, 2010, 10:56:27 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
New test build.

ISO fixes:
- all the advertised 50 steps should be now present (I've messed the
source with previous build)
- in video mode, you can select only up to 6400 (more generally, it
will skip all values refused by the camera.. like ISO 100 in HTP mode)

Menu improvement:
- you can toggle the values backwards using Disp button (thanks Tobias
for the patch!).

This would be nice to be implemented using the wheel... but I don't
know how to decode it yet.

magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.iso+menu.alex.zip

Fotohobis

unread,
Dec 20, 2010, 12:33:24 PM12/20/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks for your outstanding work Alex. I know that Magic Lantern is
more about video futures,
but what do you think, is it posible in future to enable lens AF
microadjustment function for 550d owner?


On 20 Gruo, 17:56, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> New test build.
>
>  magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.iso+menu.alex.zip
> 60KŽiūrėtiSiųstis
> >http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en- Slėpti cituojamą tekstą -
>
> - Rodyti cituojamą tekstą -

Alex

unread,
Dec 20, 2010, 1:22:26 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I don't know yet; until I'll find out, you may experiment with trap
focus as a workaround.

2010/12/20 Fotohobis <foto...@gmail.com>:

robert

unread,
Dec 20, 2010, 3:18:26 PM12/20/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thank you, it works well.

However, during LiveView or Video mode, the Delete key was used to
reset the position of the focus rectangle to the center of the screen.
Now it's used by ML. I think we would still need the rectangle
position reset feature as in the original firmware - is there any
reason why Delete button was chosen? The central SET button has no
function by default (it's disabled in Custom Functions) - we could use
that. Or perhaps a setting in magic.cfg would make anyone happy,
allowin everyone to specfy a button of their choice.




On Dec 20, 4:56 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> New test build.
>
> ISO fixes:
> - all the advertised 50 steps should be now present (I've messed the
> source with previous build)
> - in video mode, you can select only up to 6400 (more generally, it
> will skip all values refused by the camera.. like ISO 100 in HTP mode)
>
> Menu improvement:
> - you can toggle the values backwards using Disp button (thanks Tobias
> for the patch!).
>
> This would be nice to be implemented using the wheel... but I don't
> know how to decode it yet.
>
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Deti <d...@42u.de> wrote:
> > On 12/20/10 12:23 PM, Piers wrote:
>
> >> I agree it's best for now to turn it off, but I'd still like to see it
> >> switchable in a future version.. or, wait, is A/V out still active when
> >> in record?
>
> > Yes sure.
>
> > Deti
>
> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/
>
> > To post to this group, send email to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > ml-devel+u...@googlegroups.com
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en
>
>
>
>  magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.iso+menu.alex.zip
> 60KViewDownload

Justyna Nadriczna

unread,
Dec 20, 2010, 3:25:11 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
SET button to turn on menu and delete button to turn off menu ?

2010/12/20 robert <nagy...@gmail.com>

Alex

unread,
Dec 20, 2010, 3:33:22 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Outside LV, I use SET for flash exposure compensation. In LV, it's
used to set lots of settings (with the Q button).

Reason for chosing Delete: when I clicked it outside Play mode,
nothing seem to happen. But maybe the rectangle was already centered
:D

Alex

unread,
Dec 20, 2010, 3:34:18 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
... whoops... seems it does nothing with those settings.

Will add a config file option.

Alex

unread,
Dec 20, 2010, 3:53:36 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Robert: set button.menu.on = 4 in config file.
For more details, see the last page in the user guide from the archive.
magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.menu.alex.zip

robert

unread,
Dec 21, 2010, 7:16:58 AM12/21/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks, tested:
I've set button.menu.on = 4 and button.menu.off = 5 at the end of my
config file, replaced autoexec.bin with the new one. Pressing SET
shows a black rectangle when in P mode. It displays the menu fine in
Movie mode. Unfortunately it interferes with ML itself, as after
showing the menu, SET affects the menuitems (correctly), and it cannot
be hidden except by showing some original canon menu (press Menu key
for example).

Can you give me the codes for the DOF preview button (the one below
the lens release button)? I think I could best use that for ML menu on/
off.



On Dec 20, 9:53 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert: set button.menu.on = 4 in config file.
> For more details, see the last page in the user guide from the archive.
>
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ... whoops... seems it does nothing with those settings.
>
> > Will add a config file option.
>
> > On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Outside LV, I use SET for flash exposure compensation. In LV, it's
> >> used to set lots of settings (with the Q button).
>
> >> Reason for chosing Delete: when I clicked it outside Play mode,
> >> nothing seem to happen. But maybe the rectangle was already centered
> >> :D
>
> >> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Justyna Nadriczna
> >> <justynadric...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>> SET button to turn on menu and delete button to turn off menu ?
>
> >>> 2010/12/20 robert <nagyr...@gmail.com>
>  magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.menu.alex.zip
> 887KViewDownload

robert

unread,
Dec 21, 2010, 7:20:08 AM12/21/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Oh, got it! I only have to set button.menu.on... cool, this is also
good.

robert

unread,
Dec 21, 2010, 8:13:19 AM12/21/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I experience camera freezes pretty often. After a normal photo
shooting session of 30-50 images (usually P mode, but also Av),
pressing Play button locks the camera. Display is black, backlight can
be seen. Battery re-insertion helps.
Not only this version, all of the latest days produce this.

On Dec 20, 9:53 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert: set button.menu.on = 4 in config file.
> For more details, see the last page in the user guide from the archive.
>
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ... whoops... seems it does nothing with those settings.
>
> > Will add a config file option.
>
> > On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Outside LV, I use SET for flash exposure compensation. In LV, it's
> >> used to set lots of settings (with the Q button).
>
> >> Reason for chosing Delete: when I clicked it outside Play mode,
> >> nothing seem to happen. But maybe the rectangle was already centered
> >> :D
>
> >> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Justyna Nadriczna
> >> <justynadric...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>> SET button to turn on menu and delete button to turn off menu ?
>
> >>> 2010/12/20 robert <nagyr...@gmail.com>
>  magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.menu.alex.zip
> 887KViewDownload

Alex

unread,
Dec 21, 2010, 9:02:04 AM12/21/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Is there a build which works well?

robert

unread,
Dec 21, 2010, 9:32:59 AM12/21/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
None so far, of the 1.0.9 port.

On Dec 21, 3:02 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a build which works well?
>

Alex

unread,
Dec 21, 2010, 9:34:08 AM12/21/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Can you find a sequence of exact steps (i.e. press this, that and
that) which freezes the camera?

bbss

unread,
Dec 21, 2010, 11:49:23 AM12/21/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks for the release. Really great. A few questions.

*Bracketing.
-Can the speed between shots be increased, as in the aeb mode?
-Some form of timer? It seems the only way to trigger the bracketing
is by pushing set on test bracket. This can move the camera on first
shot.

Lcd as trigger to work on both intervallometer and bracket maybe? To
be able to use the infrared remote would be great.

Previous releases it was advices to remove the battery after use. Is
this still necessary?

**awesome work, jealous of you guys skills!**

Tobias Rho

unread,
Dec 21, 2010, 3:45:27 PM12/21/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello bbss,

Alex added a config file property for the delay between the shots:

brack.delay=1000

The default delay of 1000ms is necessary, because without it the camera
freezes from time to time using bracketing in live view (LV) mode.

I had no issues setting the delay to 0 when shooting without LV in M, Av
& Tv mode.
Please give it a try, too.

See also our discussion here:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/189/support-for-larger-ae-bracketing-steps

Tobias

> Thanks for the release. Really great. A few questions.
>
> *Bracketing.
> -Can the speed between shots be increased, as in the aeb mode?
> -Some form of timer? It seems the only way to trigger the bracketing
> is by pushing set on test bracket. This can move the camera on first
> shot.
>
> Lcd as trigger to work on both intervallometer and bracket maybe? To
> be able to use the infrared remote would be great.
>
> Previous releases it was advices to remove the battery after use. Is
> this still necessary?
>
> **awesome work, jealous of you guys skills!**
>
>
> On Dec 19, 7:36 pm, Alex<broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> After lots of testing and bug fixing, we believe the new Magic Lantern
>> for 550D firmware 1.0.9 is stable enough to release it to the general
>> public.
>>
>> You can find it on the main 550D wiki page:http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/550D
>>
>> Features:
>> * GUI menus: press the ERASE button to display them
>> * Bit rate control (QScale parameter) for the H.264 encoder
>> * Zebra stripes for overexposed / underexposed areas
>> * Spotmeter, histogram
>> * Cropmarks (16:9, Cinemascope, Fisheye)
>> * Simple intervalometer
>> * Trap Focus: camera takes a picture when something comes in focus

>> * Wireless trigger with the LCD face sensor& your own hand


>> * AE bracketing (like on 5D2 ML)
>> * Rack focus
>> * Stack focus (Live View only)
>> * Lens data computation
>> * Onscreen audio meters
>> * Manual audio gain, selectable input source, disable AGC and
>> digital filters
>> * Display time remaining during video recording
>> * Debug functions (display CMOS temperature, screenshot, logging)
>>
>> We also have a new Windows tool for making the cards bootable

>> (EOSCard), and new install& user guides.

bbss

unread,
Dec 21, 2010, 10:14:25 PM12/21/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hello Tobias
Thanks that worked perfectly. Had some difficulty to get the property
accepted. So I saved the config in the camera, then changed the value
in notepad.

In live view it worked the best, no issue in av-mode. Just as quick as
aeb, great. It was slower when not in live view.

So now just the remote or timer trigger. Can I do the same here? add a
delay for the trigger? It's not ideal for hand help. But I could have
two cards. I only found one way to trigger. Have camera in continuous,
and press 'SET' on 'Test bracket'. Induces shake.

bbss

On Dec 21, 9:45 pm, Tobias Rho <tobias....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello bbss,
>
> Alex added a config file property for the delay between the shots:
>
> brack.delay=1000
>
> The default delay of 1000ms is necessary, because without it the camera
> freezes from time to time using bracketing in live view (LV) mode.
>
> I had no issues setting the delay to 0 when shooting without LV in M, Av
> & Tv mode.
> Please give it a try, too.
>
> See also our discussion here:https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/189/support-for-larg...

Chris71

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 10:57:20 AM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I startet to use Magic Lantern two days ago on my 550D and I must say
that I am really impressed by all the new features! :-)

So I would like to thank Alex and you other guys to make this
possible!

There is one feature request that I have:

I would like to have an option in the input selection of Audio menu
that the camera itself decides whether to use the internal mic or the
external stereo input.

What I am asking for is the normal behaviour of the original firmware
(if a mic-plug is put into the socket for the external stereo, the
camera recognizes this and automatically and switches to external
stereo), so hopefully this is not difficult to implement.

The reason I am asking for this feature is that I quite often use just
the internal mic but every now and than use my OKM II as an external
mic. So it would be quite handy if I do not have to manually switch to
the external mic.

Chris

konarix

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 3:35:25 PM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Alex.

Thx for ML. This is very great stuff.

I wonder is there a posibility, that ML would display Shutter Speed,
Aperture, Exposure compensation ammount, ISO Speed and Battery check,
just like the oryginal display on 550D?

If it's possible, we can clear oryginal display by pressing Display
button, and maybe then ML would display correct values for ISO like
110,115,125,140,160...

Thx for Reply.
Best Regards.

Alex

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 4:26:45 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
New test build.

Small bugfixes and a new feature: HDR images and timelapses. It's in
the "Shoot" menu and is used together with intervalometer or LCD
Remote. Also works in M mode.

Intervalometer & Brack have now a delay before starting => no shake.
With the LCD remote, you don't touch the camera => no shake.

I'm thinking to remove the Brack menu and leave only the HDR one. This
will make some space for new menus. Thoughts?

magiclantern-2010Dec22.550d.fw109.hdr.alex.zip

Alex

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 4:45:02 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Display info: yes, it's possible.
Microphone: if the camera sends an event which I can get, it's
possible. I'll try.

Alex

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 4:51:13 PM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
For HDR, use SET to adjust the steps, and DISP to adjust the step size
(in EV).
>  magiclantern-2010Dec22.550d.fw109.hdr.alex.zip
> 1018KViewDownload

Piers

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 4:56:50 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
That's certainly on my todo list, but now it can be chosen from a menu, I'm less worried

Piers

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 4:58:08 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Dude! I knew I could rely on you.

Alex

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 5:00:15 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
What do you use for HDR processing? I use enfuse (only for very mild
HDR effect, when lighting is very tricky).

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Piers <pie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dude! I knew I could rely on you.
>

Trammell Hudson

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 5:00:41 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 23:45:02 +0200, Alex wrote:
> Microphone: if the camera sends an event which I can get, it's
> possible. I'll try.

Look in hotplug_task (in Canon's firmware) for details on how to detect
USB, HDMI, and MIC events. If you search for ISR you can find it
easily. I thought we had the mic insert property named in property.h,
but don't see it off hand.

--
Trammell

Piers

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 5:07:41 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I'd use Google ;-) never actually done an HDR myself yet (and with Xmas just about to hit, I don't think I'll be getting any quiet time outside with the camera for probably a week). Oh and I have to erase and restore 180TB today, better focus on the day job ...

Alex

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 5:10:39 PM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I've tested with headphones (I don't have an external mic). What's
cool is that I can speak at them and the camera hears :)

8003002b: 1 when headphones are plugged in, 0 when not. I don't know
if it detects the mic type (i.e. other values when plugging with real
mic).

I did this test with Debug->Draw_prop.

Probably the best way is to add another setting to "Inp" (Auto) which
should enable the auto-switch.

Matt Dennie

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 5:12:54 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I use photomatix 4, and photoshop to after. I just do photos though, not sure about batch proc. on timelapses.

Chris71

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 5:52:58 PM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks for looking so quickly after my feature request! :-)

I agree that an "Auto" setting for "Inp" would be a nice way to
implement this feature into the Menu.

On the technical side, maybe it would also be possible simply not to
change (override) the way that the camera itself chooses the mic
source when "Auto" is selected.

Piers

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 6:33:16 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
"Auto" would, in fact, take care of both int dual mono and ext stereo, so if memory serves we'd want:
  • Auto
  • Int L, Ext R
  • Int L, Ext Balanced
  • (and maybe it would be useful to have forced int/ext? I can't see why but I mention it)

Piers

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 6:51:30 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
this would break my pm3[] array, but you've got the values you need in there ... and watch out for mic power.

I guess best approach is map from menu choice, via whether or not there's mic plugged in, to a new value to go into audio.input_source.

rough pseudo-code:

//Audio menu is one less that input-source
if (input_menuchoice == 0) {
    input_source = micpluggedin ? 0 : 1 ;
} else {
  input_source = input_menuchoice + 1;
}

bbss

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 7:08:05 PM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Great features. One bug. I could not get the higher speed between
shots as I could with the previous release when I changed brack.delay
= 0. Didn't seem to work. Tried the previous config file as well.

I personally would like to have the brack menu, as you included the
timer, so this can be customized. But I see the point. That small
feature takes up a whole lot of space, but with the brack.startdelay
handle it became very useful.

I would also like to trigger this with the infrared remote. If I am in
front of the camera. That is the only thing I can think of that may be
missing.

ML 550d bracketing now beat the 1D series excellent bracket function
imo. Kewl :)

----
I need to learn the basics of this. At least so I can copy and paste
code and customize meny and such things myself. That would be great.
But don't know how difficult it will be to acquire the skills.

bbss
>  magiclantern-2010Dec22.550d.fw109.hdr.alex.zip
> 1018KViewDownload

BramKrist

unread,
Dec 22, 2010, 11:21:38 PM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
me too.. i can hear the sound from camera mic... but, when i plug the
A/V out, the LCD automatically turns off...
It's possible to monitoring video recording and sound recording at the
same time? Thanks..

robert

unread,
Dec 23, 2010, 11:58:24 AM12/23/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Please leave there an
- Ext L, Ext R
setting also, for audio input!
There are tines when you need stereo input from external sources.


On Dec 23, 12:33 am, Piers <pie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Auto" would, in fact, take care of both int dual mono and ext stereo, so if
> memory serves we'd want:
>
>    - Auto
>    - Int L, Ext R
>    - Int L, Ext Balanced
>    - (and maybe it would be useful to have forced int/ext? I can't see why
>    but I mention it)

robert

unread,
Dec 23, 2010, 12:37:17 PM12/23/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
"remove the Brack menu and leave only the HDR one" - good idea!

On Dec 22, 10:26 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  magiclantern-2010Dec22.550d.fw109.hdr.alex.zip
> 1018KViewDownload

robert

unread,
Dec 23, 2010, 3:37:24 PM12/23/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Another small bug: Global Draw: OFF doesn't remove all the labels from
the screen!
There a 3 labels still left there - could you please remove these also
when Global Draw is OFF?

Also clear Preview doesn't remove all texts. There are
some leftovers on the bottom and top right. I guess these aren't there
on purpose while clear Preview is on...


On Dec 19, 7:36 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After lots of testing and bug fixing, we believe the new Magic Lantern
> for 550D firmware 1.0.9 is stable enough to release it to the general
> public.
>
> You can find it on the main 550D wiki page:http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/550D
>
> Features:
>     * GUI menus: press the ERASE button to display them
>     * Bit rate control (QScale parameter) for the H.264 encoder
>     * Zebra stripes for overexposed / underexposed areas
>     * Spotmeter, histogram
>     * Cropmarks (16:9, Cinemascope, Fisheye)
>     * Simple intervalometer
>     * Trap Focus: camera takes a picture when something comes in focus
>     * Wireless trigger with the LCD face sensor & your own hand
>     * AE bracketing (like on 5D2 ML)
>     * Rack focus
>     * Stack focus (Live View only)
>     * Lens data computation
>     * Onscreen audio meters
>     * Manual audio gain, selectable input source, disable AGC and
> digital filters
>     * Display time remaining during video recording
>     * Debug functions (display CMOS temperature, screenshot, logging)
>
> We also have a new Windows tool for making the cards bootable
> (EOSCard), and new install & user guides.

Alex

unread,
Dec 23, 2010, 3:39:41 PM12/23/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
EV indicator cannot be cleared by ClrScr in HalfPress mode, because
Canon code redraws it continuously. Battery icon and Canon histogram
have the same problem.

If it's not this, post a screenshot.

Arman

unread,
Dec 23, 2010, 4:21:07 PM12/23/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Has anyone else noticed the short audio burst at the beginning of the
initial video recording with these builds? The first video recording
after turning on the camera always has a short but extremely loud
audio burst around 1 or 2 seconds in. This happens with the both the
int/ext mics ...

Audionut

unread,
Dec 23, 2010, 4:57:27 PM12/23/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Is it also possible to disable audio recording.
Useful for those who record using an external device.
And it would allow more bitrate for the video.

And most importantly, thanks a bunch for this excellent firmware.

Alex

unread,
Dec 24, 2010, 3:32:46 AM12/24/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'll be offline for a while (maybe until next year), and therefore I
wish Merry Christmas and (maybe) Happy New Year to all the Magic
Lantern users and developers.

Here's a new build which should fix many unstable behaviors. I'll do
some more tests in the next few hours, until I'll leave, but so far it
worked very well for me. I've tested all the new cropmarks, did a
short timelapse (60 images) and wrote some garbage to config file. No
crashes or unstable behaviors yet.

Enjoy Magic Lantern and don't brick your cameras!

Alex

magiclantern-2010Dec24.550d.fw109.bugfixes.alex.zip

Alex

unread,
Dec 24, 2010, 4:17:09 AM12/24/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
P.S. Here's what I've got from the donations (an M42 Revuenon Special
135/2.8). Works pretty nice with trap focus :)

Thanks to all the Magic Lantern users who supported the project!

revuenon.jpg

sawomedia

unread,
Dec 24, 2010, 5:43:41 AM12/24/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Merry Christmas and thanks for the hard work.

See you around next year ;)

Greetings

sawo

On 24 Dez., 09:32, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'll be offline for a while (maybe until next year), and therefore I
> wish Merry Christmas and (maybe) Happy New Year to all the Magic
> Lantern users and developers.
>
> Here's a new build which should fix many unstable behaviors. I'll do
> some more tests in the next few hours, until I'll leave, but so far it
> worked very well for me. I've tested all the new cropmarks, did a
> short timelapse (60 images) and wrote some garbage to config file. No
> crashes or unstable behaviors yet.
>
> Enjoy Magic Lantern and don't brick your cameras!
>
> AlexOn Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Audionut <audionu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it also possible to disable audio recording.
> > Useful for those who record using an external device.
> > And it would allow more bitrate for the video.
>
> > And most importantly, thanks a bunch for this excellent firmware.
>
> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/
>
> > To post to this group, send email to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to ml-devel+u...@googlegroups.com
> > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en
>
>
>
>  magiclantern-2010Dec24.550d.fw109.bugfixes.alex.zip
> 1019KAnzeigenHerunterladen

shd

unread,
Dec 24, 2010, 4:23:58 AM12/24/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Nice lens! :) Thanks Alex for Your great work and Marry Christmas to
You ! :)

On 24 Gru, 10:17, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> P.S. Here's what I've got from the donations (an M42 Revuenon Special
> 135/2.8). Works pretty nice with trap focus :)
>
> Thanks to all the Magic Lantern users who supported the project!
>
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I'll be offline for a while (maybe until next year), and therefore I
> > wish Merry Christmas and (maybe) Happy New Year to all the Magic
> > Lantern users and developers.
>
> > Here's a new build which should fix many unstable behaviors. I'll do
> > some more tests in the next few hours, until I'll leave, but so far it
> > worked very well for me. I've tested all the new cropmarks, did a
> > short timelapse (60 images) and wrote some garbage to config file. No
> > crashes or unstable behaviors yet.
>
> > Enjoy Magic Lantern and don't brick your cameras!
>
> > Alex
>
> > On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Audionut <audionu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Is it also possible to disable audio recording.
> >> Useful for those who record using an external device.
> >> And it would allow more bitrate for the video.
>
> >> And most importantly, thanks a bunch for this excellent firmware.
>
> >> --
> >>http://magiclantern.wikia.com/
>
> >> To post to this group, send email to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to ml-devel+u...@googlegroups.com
> >> For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en
>
>
>
>  revuenon.jpg
> 292KZobaczPobierz

totriz

unread,
Dec 24, 2010, 6:13:19 AM12/24/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thank you Alex!
>  magiclantern-2010Dec24.550d.fw109.bugfixes.alex.zip
> 1019KViewDownload

Stokis

unread,
Dec 24, 2010, 8:38:27 AM12/24/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Yes, I have the audio burst effect too at the beginning of the first
video i take after turning the camera on. It is very bad, because
eveytime I turn the camera on and take the first video, i need to
delete it because of audio bug at the beginning of the video. The
audio burst effect starts after 2 seconds in video, and lasts for 1
seccond. It seems that camera turns the gain on for one seccond. and
than turns it off.

Alex, can you fix it? This bug is in every last 3 firmware versions i
have tested.

Gilbert M

unread,
Dec 24, 2010, 10:03:01 AM12/24/10