Sync video with audio recorded on independent device

Tom Worster

Aug 1, 2012, 9:22:14 AM8/1/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On the 50D there is no alternative. On other cameras there may be other
reasons to use an independent audio recorder.

Is there anything that ML firmware could possibly do to assist in this
procedure?

Chris Ball

Aug 1, 2012, 12:15:04 PM8/1/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
For the non-50D cameras, you just have to sync up two audio tracks.
This is already possible with standard software, without any extra
assistance from ML -- on the open-source side, you can use Pitivi:

http://jeff.ecchi.ca/blog/2011/07/25/automated-multicamera-clip-syncing/

Or kdenlive:

http://www.mail-archive.com/kdenliv...@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03960.html

I don't think there's going to be any easy solution for the 50D.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball <c...@laptop.org> <http://printf.net/>
One Laptop Per Child

Tom Worster

Aug 1, 2012, 12:57:51 PM8/1/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On 8/1/12 12:15 PM, "Chris Ball" <c...@laptop.org> wrote:

>I don't think there's going to be any easy solution for the 50D.

i do the old-fashioned way -- in iMovie :/

i can't think of a function that ML could possibly implement that might
help. if the camera would omit a sound synced to something visible in the
movie, that might help but i don't think a 50D can do that. nor do i think
this would really be superior to clapping my hands.

Alex

Aug 1, 2012, 1:14:12 PM8/1/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
The 50D doesn't seem to be able to do beeps, even though all the other
cameras can beep (
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1813.0 ). The
routines are there, but the sound module is not initialized by 50D
(for obvious reasons), so the same code that works on 5D2/500D
(cameras from same generation), fails on 50D with ERR80.

Probably someone with better reverse engineering skills can figure out
how to fix it.

What is possible is to take a picture automatically when you press
record, for example. The noise done by the shutter mechanism might be
useful for sync.

Popping the built-in flash may also work.
> --
> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Tom Worster

Aug 1, 2012, 1:56:10 PM8/1/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com, Alex
On 8/1/12 1:14 PM, "Alex" <broscu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The 50D doesn't seem to be able to do beeps, even though all the other
>cameras can beep (
>http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1813.0 ). The
>routines are there, but the sound module is not initialized by 50D
>(for obvious reasons), so the same code that works on 5D2/500D
>(cameras from same generation), fails on 50D with ERR80.
>
>Probably someone with better reverse engineering skills can figure out
>how to fix it.

that would probably not be me.

interesting to imagine a sound module in there with no i/os hooked up.

>What is possible is to take a picture automatically when you press
>record, for example. The noise done by the shutter mechanism might be
>useful for sync.
>
>Popping the built-in flash may also work.

i considered those but the only advantage over a clap (or whatever) i can
think of is that the camera might help you to not forget. neither feature
is loud.

Malcolm Debono

Aug 2, 2012, 10:40:54 AM8/2/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Old fashioned way: clapperboard ;-)

Giovanni Di Cello

Aug 5, 2012, 12:26:09 AM8/5/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
What about a sound emitting device which gets triggered by the pc sync port? Can it be done?