Major Contribution

58 views
Skip to first unread message

Hannes Boran

unread,
Oct 28, 2010, 8:26:59 AM10/28/10
to mixare-development
Hello everyone!

Finally i am releasing my enhancements from the last few weeks. I made
quite a few additions, so i will try to sum them up here:

Marker:
- Google Buzz and Twitter messages got some nice little icons instead
of circles.
- Circle diameter for POIs are set depending on the distance from the
user. Far away: small circle, nearby: big circle.
- Marker list is internally sorted by distance.
- Order of drawing of marker is reversed, so text boxes of nearer
objects appear on top of objects being farer away.
- Marker count limits for each marker category: nearest 10 navigation
markers, nearest 15 social media markers and nearest 20 POI markers
are displayed.
- Marker active flag: Marker is only "active" (and thus displayed) if
the relating data source is activated and the marker is below the
marker count limit (one of the xx nearest objects).
- Larger text boxes.
- Show the distance to the object in the text box in the form of:
"Wiener Staatsoper (450m)" with meter (below 1000m) or km and rounded
to two significant digits
- Text boxes are now a little bit transparent, so you can better guess
what the covered objects are about.
- Marker are internally stored only once, even when the same object
gets downloaded multiple times.
- For twitter additionally to the geo tag (where the specific message
comes from) the location tag (general location of the user) is
analyzed if geo tag is not available and used as location.

Data sources:
- Only show markers from currently selected data sources. (Bug was: if
download arrived after the datasource became already deselected, the
related markers where mistakenly displayed)
- Local data bugfix: local data can now be used with base urls like
file:///sdcard/download/data.json
- After deselecting a data source the related markers get
"deactivated" (an thus not displayed) but kept in memory, instead of
deleting them. This means that they are instantly there again after
reactivation of the data source.
- After closing datasource menu, already existing markers are not
deleted.

Downloading:
- Automatically repeat download from datasources after moving more
then a third of the radius away from where the last download occurred.
- Notifications to inform the user when download is done or led to an
error.

Performance:
- Time consuming distanceBetween function now gets only called when
user location changes and not at every draw() call.
- Solved extremely slow map view (Instead of one gmap overlay for
every icon, only one overlay for all icons).

Location:
- Improved location detection at startup. Detect location in following
order if possible: Use last known gps location, use last known network
location, fall back to the hard coded position.


This modified version is available at
http://github.com/hanbo/mixare/tree/1b0425862e928dc37e2a3771dcceb6c55b0992a7

I will probably do some videos on Saturday to demonstrate these
enhancements.

Enjoy!

Hannes

Christian Peer

unread,
Oct 28, 2010, 9:05:28 AM10/28/10
to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
WOWWWW!!!! Big congratulations for the very impressive contribution!
Thanks a lot for your hard work and dedication. :-)

Best Regards
Christian

==============================
> Christian Peer
> CEO
>
> Peer GmbH/Srl
> www.peer.biz
> Tel. +39 0471 631080
> Fax +39 0471 631724

startx

unread,
Oct 28, 2010, 9:16:32 AM10/28/10
to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 05:26:59 -0700 (PDT)
Hannes Boran <hannes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> Finally i am releasing my enhancements from the last few weeks. I made
> quite a few additions, so i will try to sum them up here:
>

great work.

> Marker:
> - Google Buzz and Twitter messages got some nice little icons instead
> of circles.

i was wondering about the markers though. is there any chance (or
plans) to use custom markers and define the marker in the json file?

startx

Daniele Gobbetti - Peer internet solutions

unread,
Oct 28, 2010, 9:35:40 AM10/28/10
to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
Il 28/10/2010 14:26, Hannes Boran ha scritto:
> Hello everyone!
>
> Finally i am releasing my enhancements from the last few weeks. I made
> quite a few additions, so i will try to sum them up here:

a-w-e-s-o-m-e!

Thanks a lot for your efforts! I just checked out your branch and built
an apk to test it and... WOW! as Christian said :-)

We need to find the best way to merge your contributions back to the
master repo (I see that there are a few branches on your repo...it's
time for me to read the git documentation again! :-) ) so that we can
prepare a market release.

We also have to make sure that the icons you used are released under a
license that is compatible with GPLv3, I wonder if on the list there's
someone able to help wrt this aspect.

Eventually, there's the issue tracker to update... thanks to your
contribution we are going to close quite a lot of issues :-)

> I will probably do some videos on Saturday to demonstrate these
> enhancements.

Please do and let us know where to find them, so that we can embed them
on mixare website!

Best,
DAniele

--

==============================
> Daniele Gobbetti
> Usability & Innovation Management

Chaitanya Sharma

unread,
Oct 28, 2010, 11:23:31 AM10/28/10
to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
Wow!! excellent!

These changes look absolutely wonderful. 

I just have one question, have these been tested on Froyo 2.1, Samsung Galaxy S?


for myself, I'm new to the mixare community, and a beginner at augmented reality applications development.

Cheers!
Chaitanya



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "mixare-development" group.
To post to this group, send email to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
mixare-developm...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/mixare-development?hl=en
The project's home page is at http://www.mixare.org/en

Anzu

unread,
Oct 28, 2010, 11:28:56 AM10/28/10
to mixare-development
Very nice work, I'm loving the additions. I'm still trying to figure
out how to rotate the objects properly in portrait mode. If I get
that going, I'll submit the contribution.

Keep up the great work team mixare!
> This modified version is available athttp://github.com/hanbo/mixare/tree/1b0425862e928dc37e2a3771dcceb6c55...

Khang Vu

unread,
Oct 28, 2010, 9:37:13 PM10/28/10
to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
That 's great to you,
I hope we would make more and more useful adding features likes Hanbo 's done.
Thanks for all,
Leon Yuu

Daniele Gobbetti - Peer internet solutions

unread,
Oct 29, 2010, 2:48:01 AM10/29/10
to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
Il 28/10/2010 17:28, Anzu ha scritto:
> Very nice work, I'm loving the additions. I'm still trying to figure
> out how to rotate the objects properly in portrait mode. If I get
> that going, I'll submit the contribution.

Hi Anzu!

Why don't you push it to a public git repository? I think more people
(myself included) would be able to help if they can take a look at your
code. You can register on github for free as long as you work on open
source projects OR you may use any git repository of your liking!

> Keep up the great work team mixare!

I wish you will join the team! ;-)

Best,
DAniele

--

Daniele Gobbetti - Peer internet solutions

unread,
Oct 29, 2010, 2:52:29 AM10/29/10
to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
Il 28/10/2010 17:23, Chaitanya Sharma ha scritto:
> Wow!! excellent!
>
> These changes look absolutely wonderful.
>
> I just have one question, have these been tested on Froyo 2.1, Samsung
> Galaxy S?

No one I know in the community owns a galaxy S, so I don't think there
had be chance to test mixare on that device. Do you own one? Are you
willing to test mixare on your device?

The phone models (with rom) I am aware of are:
- HTC Dream (G1) - 2.2 (cyanogenmod 6), 2.1 (cyanogenmod 5), 1.6 (stock)
- Motorola milestone - 2.1 (stock)
- Nexus one - 2.2 (Cyanogenmod 6)
- HTC Desire - 2.2 (stock HTC sense)
- HTC Hero - 2.1 (stock HTC sense)

> for myself, I'm new to the mixare community, and a beginner at augmented
> reality applications development.
>
> Cheers!
> Chaitanya

Welcome on board, Chaitanya!

Regards,
Daniele

--

> > www.peer.biz <http://www.peer.biz>


> > Tel. +39 0471 631080
> > Fax +39 0471 631724
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "mixare-development" group.
> To post to this group, send email to
> mixare-de...@googlegroups.com

> <mailto:mixare-de...@googlegroups.com>


> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> mixare-developm...@googlegroups.com

> <mailto:mixare-development%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>


> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/mixare-development?hl=en
> The project's home page is at http://www.mixare.org/en
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "mixare-development" group.
> To post to this group, send email to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> mixare-developm...@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/mixare-development?hl=en
> The project's home page is at http://www.mixare.org/en

Patrick Ohnewein

unread,
Oct 29, 2010, 7:04:06 AM10/29/10
to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mixare hackers!

I am new on the list and read msgs only since some days now, but please
let me drop in to the discussions.

First of all I would like to express my congratulations to Daniele and
all the developers for the excellent work you all are doing in the
Mixare project!

The contribution by Hannes is a very big step forward. I think he was
able to implement a lot of dreams of the Mixare user community. Kudos!

I have a question about the topic of testing on different devices. I
hope to get access to some different devices in some weeks, so I would
like to understand, if there exist test units or test protocols, we
could run or use for testing Mixare on different devices.

If someone is good in defining tests, that could be very helpful!

Thank you all and happy hacking!
Patrick

Hannes Boran

unread,
Oct 29, 2010, 7:44:02 AM10/29/10
to mixare-development
Hi,

thanks for all your appreciation :)

Some issues:

- The icons are completely free and can be used by us. I checked this
with the owners, and they confirmed it.
- As Daniele already mentioned, i also think it is very important that
all share their code (in the end its GPL software). github is very
easy to use and free for open source software. So, please use it, even
for small changes.
- My modifications are not that much tested, so feedback is welcome (i
only have a HTC Desire).

- Custom markers are a very good idea. It would be nice if someone can
add this feature.
- I am also very interested if someone can fix that issue with using
the portrait mode.

- One very big issue is still there: Clicking on markers to load the
related webpage does rarely work for me. Very often the nothing
happens or wrong webpages (from other markers) open up.
- I think the issue tracker should be updated according to the
upstream master repository status, so i didn't close those bugs.
- And we have to rethink the approach with the radius. For my user
tests i used a very low radius for wikipedia (like 300m) and a very
high radius for google buzz (like 3km) to get useful results, because
there are much more Wikipedia entries than social media messages for a
given radius (at least here in Vienna)

Have a nice weekend!

Hannes



On 29 Okt., 08:52, Daniele Gobbetti - Peer internet solutions
> >     The project's home page is athttp://www.mixare.org/en
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "mixare-development" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > mixare-developm...@googlegroups.com
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/mixare-development?hl=en
> > The project's home page is athttp://www.mixare.org/en

Daniele Gobbetti - Peer internet solutions

unread,
Oct 29, 2010, 11:13:39 AM10/29/10
to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
Il 29/10/2010 13:44, Hannes Boran ha scritto:
> Hi,

Hi Boran, please find my answer inline...

> thanks for all your appreciation :)
>
> Some issues:
>
> - The icons are completely free and can be used by us. I checked this
> with the owners, and they confirmed it.

Allright, can you please forward their answers to in...@mixare.org so
that we archive them for the records?

> - As Daniele already mentioned, i also think it is very important that
> all share their code (in the end its GPL software). github is very
> easy to use and free for open source software. So, please use it, even
> for small changes.
> - My modifications are not that much tested, so feedback is welcome (i
> only have a HTC Desire).

> - One very big issue is still there: Clicking on markers to load the
> related webpage does rarely work for me. Very often the nothing
> happens or wrong webpages (from other markers) open up.

I think I've found the culprit: during the summer the function to
approximate the camera preview had to be rewritten to keep the
compatibility with sense 2.1 (HTC hero), it may be that the active area
has been unaligned since then. I'll try to work this out!

> - I think the issue tracker should be updated according to the
> upstream master repository status, so i didn't close those bugs.

Yup! I agree, we could add custom status like "fixed in XXX branch" to
the issue tracker, though, if it helps.

> - And we have to rethink the approach with the radius. For my user
> tests i used a very low radius for wikipedia (like 300m) and a very
> high radius for google buzz (like 3km) to get useful results, because
> there are much more Wikipedia entries than social media messages for a
> given radius (at least here in Vienna)

I noticed a few issues with the circles for radii > 10km, where the
circles are always very small. Apart from this it's working really good
(And fast) on my G1 with every ROM I tried.

> Have a nice weekend!
>
> Hannes

So to you!
Best,
DAniele

--

>>> > Usability& Innovation Management

>> > Usability& Innovation Management

Hannes Boran

unread,
Nov 2, 2010, 8:05:47 AM11/2/10
to mixare-development
Hi all,

i took some photos and made two short videos showing my additions last
weekend.

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/hannes.boran/Mixare
Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA2LLqb4TSM and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIMw1QpEd9A

@Daniele: I set the size of the circles so that it fits for my
scenario (very dense city center). We could adapt the circle sizes to
the currently used radius setting. For the icons: i will send you the
emails now.

Hannes

On 29 Okt., 16:13, Daniele Gobbetti - Peer internet solutions
<d.gobbe...@peer.biz> wrote:
> Il 29/10/2010 13:44, Hannes Boran ha scritto:
>
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Boran, please find my answer inline...
>
> > thanks for all your appreciation :)
>
> > Some issues:
>
> > - The icons are completely free and can be used by us. I checked this
> > with the owners, and they confirmed it.
>
> Allright, can you please forward their answers to i...@mixare.org so

Daniele Gobbetti - Peer internet solutions

unread,
Nov 2, 2010, 12:19:39 PM11/2/10
to mixare-de...@googlegroups.com
Il 02/11/2010 13:05, Hannes Boran ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> i took some photos and made two short videos showing my additions last
> weekend.
>
> Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/hannes.boran/Mixare
> Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA2LLqb4TSM and
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIMw1QpEd9A

Awesome! I've made a blogpost and put one of your videos on the
frontpage of mixare.org. I hope you don't mind :-)

> @Daniele: I set the size of the circles so that it fits for my
> scenario (very dense city center). We could adapt the circle sizes to
> the currently used radius setting. For the icons: i will send you the
> emails now.

Thanks for the emails, I've got them and then merged your code upstream.
I'll take a look at your code and try to fix the size of the circles for
our use case!

> Hannes

Regards,
Daniele

--

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages