mithril tree view component

Johann Haaf

Jun 4, 2016, 4:40:55 PM6/4/16
to mithril
Hi!

I just published my first version of pickdrasil-mithril on my Github account. If anybody needs a tree view or just wants to see how you can build one yourself easily just check it out:

Please let me know what you think, when you have taken a look at the code and the examples :)

Regards,
Jay / Johann

Barney Carroll

Jun 5, 2016, 5:57:51 AM6/5/16
to Johann Haaf, mithril
Cool stuff!

Love the name :)

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney....@gmail.com
+44 7429 177278

barneycarroll.com

Andreas Söderlund

Jun 5, 2016, 8:14:30 AM6/5/16
to mithril
Hi, very ambitious for a tree view! A bit over-engineered, perhaps?

When I consider using a 3:rd party component, I look at the project and know that I will probably have to understand most aspects of it eventually. Then, when I see a myriad of dotfiles, a large directory structure, small files, abstractions and event subscriptions, and unit tests that unfortunately is waste most of it, I know that it will be quite hard and take lots of time to understand. It's not that the code isn't structured, it's the structure itself that's a problem.

/Andreas

Johann Haaf

Jun 5, 2016, 9:59:32 AM6/5/16
to mithril
Hi Andreas,

thanks for looking into it and for your feedback. Yes, it is over-engineered. I started out with this tree view in private, but with the ultimate goal to use it at work for a project. Since it should be used in many different contexts and kinds of web pages/web apps I just went a bit overboard with the automated testing. My employer's fear of changes also spurred me to give them as many safety nets as I could (even if they really don't add any value). My fork of this original code (the one that is being used at work) even has an extensive UI Testsuite!

Thanks for reminding me to polish it up a bit. I will delete some of the tests, which aren't really telling you anything about the app and which don't give me a safety net in refactoring at all (like all tests for properties initialized with m.prop; duh!).

@barney cheers and thanks! :D

Regards,
- Jay / Johann

Barney Carroll

Jun 5, 2016, 10:23:10 AM6/5/16
to Johann Haaf, mithril
This sounds similar to scenarios I've been in before. I wrote a functional routing extension for Mithril that my employer at the time wasn't comfortable releasing as open source because it didn't include a code coverage testing suite. We were however happy to have our application depend on the library completely. Ironically, getting the Mithril communitie's eyeballs on the thing would have been a better passive testing strategy in my eyes.