How assess students' projects?

nemeth...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2014, 7:42:53 AM2/10/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I'm a teacher in a highschool and we plan to create a beginner programming course for our students (14-15 years old) with App Inventor 2. The assessment should be done via projects that the students create on their own.
My problem is, that I cannot see clearly, how can I get access to the students' projects. I have searched the Internet and the forums on AppInv webpage unsuccessfully.

Can the students share their projects with me (like sharing Google docs or form)? Or is the only way to upload the apk file to a shared location? I would really like the blocks and not only the result.

Thank you for your help.

fturbak

Feb 10, 2014, 8:07:55 AM2/10/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, nemeth...@gmail.com
What is currently done is to have students share the source code of their projects with you as .aia files. Students can export projects in this format and email them to you, post them on web pages, etc. You can then import them into App Inventor to view them and experiment with them.

Our team is currently working on a Gallery feature that will make it easier to share projects. Stay tuned for more information.

- lyn -

Hal Abelson

Feb 10, 2014, 8:08:54 AM2/10/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, nemeth...@gmail.com, ftu...@wellesley.edu
The students will need to send you their projects:  They can download them to their computers and move them to Google Docs or something else.

By the way, there's an NSF project involving a group of universities that is developing a rubric for assessing student projects.  Lyn Turbak (cc'd) can tell you more.

phili...@tka.org

Feb 26, 2014, 4:16:06 PM2/26/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, nemeth...@gmail.com
Hi,

This is my 4th semester teaching with App Inventor and here is what I've settled on as my grading rubric (see attached pdf). Depending on the complexity of the lab or project, I vary the point values.

Basically, I stress functionality and documentation. The app works should work as designed and there should be adequate documentation, including screenshots and write-ups, on their portfolio page. Students post the executable (.apk) on their page and other students are allow to review and comment. For the big projects, the source code (.aia) uploaded to a shared Google Drive folder and we look at it together in class. Hope this helps.

Portfolios for my students can be found here:

https://sites.google.com/site/tkamobileappsclass/

AppGradeSheet.pdf

KG

Mar 5, 2014, 11:44:16 AM3/5/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, nemeth...@gmail.com, phili...@tka.org

Thank you for sharing your materials. This is my first semester teaching App Inventor.

Fred G. Martin

Mar 5, 2014, 8:30:14 PM3/5/14
to nemeth...@gmail.com, mitappinv...@googlegroups.com

The students have to share them with you somehow. They could email you AIA files. They could take screen snaps of the code and send you images. The former is more work for you - you have to load and open their projects. The latter is more work for them. In our univ. classes, we have them make portfolios with screen snaps, descriptions, and the source code.

Fred from mobile

Jesús Alvarez Ruiz

Mar 8, 2015, 5:42:30 AM3/8/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, nemeth...@gmail.com
Any chance to create a script for Google Drive so that the .aia files stored there can be imported in App Inventor just with a double click?
That will ease the assess of projects quite a lot!

M. Hossein Amerkashi

Mar 8, 2015, 9:13:31 AM3/8/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, nemeth...@gmail.com
@Jesus Alvarez,

Why not just share the GDrive folder with the students? As Fred mentioned, they'll be able to download the source and then import into the AI.

image

Hossein Amerkashi