EATMYLIMES

Apr 14, 2015, 12:54:35 AM4/14/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
How do other countries read my app that was made in english? Or the description that is also in english on the play store? Do i need to make an app in every language for other countries to understand? Can someone help explain please.

Enis

Apr 14, 2015, 1:44:48 AM4/14/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
YOU would have to provide translations...

SteveJG

Apr 14, 2015, 7:59:06 AM4/14/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
You are coding in App Inventor Classic...AI Classic is intended to be retired sometime in 2015; new apps should be coded in App Inventor 2  http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ai2/setup.html

Here are two App Inventor 2 tutorials that are devoted to localization (the process of making an app that can be used with several languages).

Poor Richard…an AI2 Multilingual Tip of Day app and Tutorial using TTS and Yandex Translate    and

Polyglot … a multilingual tutorial for App Inventor 2    The bold titles are links to the tutorials.

These work in AI2 but not AI but they may help you design your app to be able to work in two or more languages for users.

Regards,
Steve

EATMYLIMES

Apr 16, 2015, 5:07:25 AM4/16/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
I know I should be. I will soon. Thanks for the reply.

EATMYLIMES

Apr 16, 2015, 5:09:09 AM4/16/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but is it as easy as just putting some code in my blocks or is there more to it?

SteveJG

Apr 16, 2015, 8:24:55 AM4/16/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Coding in AI2 is easier than coding in AI Classic for most users. Read the Inventor's Guide in the book mentioned below.

 If this " is it as easy as just putting some code in my blocks or is there more to it " refers to adding additional languages, yes it is just a matter of placing code in your blocks if you provide the translation and want the app to work without connecting to the Internet. You provide two or more alternate sets of text you want to display depending on how many languages you want the app to know.    If you use Yantex translater (as in Poor Richard) the app has to be connected to the Web.

Here are some resources to help you learn to use the AI2 tools  A very good way to learn App Inventor is to read the free Inventor's Manual here in the AI2 free online eBook   http://www.appinventor.org/book2 ... the links are at the bottom of the Web page.  The book 'teaches' users how to program with Ai2 blocks.

There is a free programming course here http://www.appinventor.org/content/CourseInABox/Intro  and the aia files for the projects in the book are here:  http://www.appinventor.org/bookFiles

How to a lot of basic things with App Inventor are described here:  http://www.appinventor.org/content/howDoYou/eventHandling  .

Regards,
Steve