stuartb...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2014, 3:57:58 PM3/7/14

MIT APP INVENTOR SUPPORT FORM

Use this form to report problems or to request technical support or programming help.   Also check out the reference material at appinventor.mit.edu and at the App Inventor troubleshooting page.   Please provide ALL of the information requested in blue below BEFORE entering your issue.   We will make every attempt to answer your request or post rapidly.  Please return the courtesy and respond back to the forum promptly to let us know if your issue was resolved.   We might request additional information; we'll close the issue after three days if there has been no reply.  If you would prefer to start a discussion instead, change the drop-down above from "Ask a question" to "Start a discussion" and the form below will disappear.

Thank you - The MIT AI Support Team

MITAIMITAIMITAIMITAIMITAIMITAIMITAIMITAIMITAI

Are you Working Under Windows or a Mac or other?

Windows version:               vista
What Internet Browser are you using?      Chrome version:
(Please note: Currently IE is not supported.)

Which version of AppInventor are you using?
    MIT AI 2:

                                          Tablet/Phone Make, Model & Android Version:        sony ericsson xperia

          Connection type: (WiFi or USB):          wifi

Are you a Teacher or a Student Using App Inventor in Your School?          Student:

If this is an issue with a specific project, please include the name of your project below:

Name of your project:                             talky-talk

Please Describe Your Issue Below: (Please be specific.  "My Blocks Disappeared" is not enough for us to go on!)  Give us as much information as possible about what happened, what you were doing at the time, and what you expected to happen.  The more information you provide, the better we can help you.

My Issue Is (Enter your issue below):

i followed the tutorial called "talk to me part 1, MIT app inventor tutorial #1", but when i press the button in my app on the phone it does not make any sound.  In the blocks screen there were 2 warnings mid way through, and the one yellow warning triangle that was showing in the "call text to speech 1. speak" block, explained that we needed to fill all the sockets with blocks.  When we then subsequently filled the final socket with the "blank text block", the only yellow warning triangle disappeared (as expected), but the bottom of the screen is still telling us there is one more warning which is not showing as a yellow warning triangle.  Not sure if this relates to why the app does not speak when the button on the phone is pressed.

Please help.

Thanks
Oliver Bradburn (aged 10)

SteveJG

Mar 7, 2014, 4:17:40 PM3/7/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, stuartb...@gmail.com
Oliver, does your phone  have this app installed?

In order for this component to work, the device must have the TTS Extended Service app by Eyes-Free Project installed. You can download this from  http://code.google.com/p/eyes-free/downloads/list         Phones with out this app or something similar can not 'talk;.

Also, are you using AI2  or AI Classic to program?

Get some help installing the TTS Extended Service app. Then try your app.   If it still does not work, please return here.  If it solves the problem;, please return here.    Ordinarily having yellow triangles does not cause problems, but if you still have problems, could you send an image of your blocks?    If you do not know how to get an image, ask and you will get help.

Regards,
SteveJG

Scott Ferguson

Mar 7, 2014, 5:15:10 PM3/7/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, stuartb...@gmail.com
I would add that if there is nothing in the 'blank text block' then the Speak block has nothing to say.
Make sure you have some text there and try again.
---
Scott

SteveJG

Mar 7, 2014, 5:24:05 PM3/7/14
Scott is very correct, the  the final socket with the "blank text block",  should have some text in it.  You touch the block in your phone, then use the virtual keyboard to type a message into the blank text block.  You can type something like "hello Oliver"...then press the Speak button or which ever button you are supposed to press to have the phone talk.

Good luck.

mich...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2014, 10:50:45 AM3/22/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, stuartb...@gmail.com
 I have a HTC running android 2.3.5 but no tekst is spoken. I even installed the TTS extended and still not working.
Any ideas?

SteveJG

Mar 22, 2014, 11:24:10 AM3/22/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, stuartb...@gmail.com, mich...@gmail.com
Try this very simple app.   You need a TextToSpeech, a Button and a TexBox1 on the design screen.

It runs in the emulator and will talk.      Try it on both the emulator and your HTH.   What this does is ensure you have an app that actually speaks to test with.

If it runs on one and not the other, there are issues we might be able to help with.

My first guess is your app does not have anything to say.    Do you have some text in the block that is the message?

Another possibility, is the HTH muted or volume low?   Somewhere in the phone, there is a place to check Settings.

See what options it provides.

Also, I think you need to configure TTS extended   .   I am not sure.   This means you have to set its settings.

Did this help?

Regards,

Steve

Message has been deleted

mich...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2014, 10:17:39 AM3/23/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, stuartb...@gmail.com
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help.

The app works in the
emulator so no problem there.
The volume of the phone is also up.

When trying to acces the TTS Service  it stops on my phone, but with android 2.3.5 this should be ok?
I can not reinstall this service.

Any ideas?

SteveJG

Mar 23, 2014, 12:22:55 PM3/23/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, stuartb...@gmail.com, mich...@gmail.com
Hmm, time to try some more stuff.

From the documentation:  In order for this component to work, the device must have the TTS Extended Service app by Eyes-Free Project installed. You can download this from http://code.google.com/p/eyes-free/downloads/list

Currently the app you should have on your phone, in addition to your AI2 app is        tts_3.1_market.apk  .     It this what you are using?    If not, the file is  attached here.

According to Google's Android documentation, TTS can be used with 1.6 and above, so it should be possible with your phone.

"When trying to acces the TTS Service  it stops on my phone,"

 What is IT that stops?     Your app stops?.     Have you tried the simple app compiled on and installed on your phone?    I mean, not using the AICompanion with WIFI or USB?   If not,
compile your app and install it on your phone.   It is amazing that sometimes things work when installed but not using any of the possible development methods.

...and again, look at the 'switches' in the Settings section of your phone.  There might be something there that is making this impossible for you.. perhaps something like "allow TTS"

Let us know what happens.

Regards,
Steve
tts_3.1_market.apk