Assigned to halatmi...@gmail.com by me

Wieland Breitfeld

Aug 17, 2015, 9:55:06 AM8/17/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello,
i have some memory errors occuring after the update.
One part of my app loads a picture from a saved file name after a button is pressed. This wored out well until the update on monday.
Without having made any  changes to my app, when pressing the button in a build after the responsive update i get the error "Failed to allocate a 51916812 byte allocation with 11920284 free bytes and 11MB until OOM" I thought that this is a real memory problem , but my settings app says that i had over 1GB free RAM memory at the time of the error, making me assume this is a bug in the responsive update. If it is, i want to use this post to report it. If it isn't, please tell me what i have done wrong and how to solve this issue. And is there a server where i can use previous versions of Appinventor?
thx in advance

SteveJG

Aug 17, 2015, 11:13:11 AM8/17/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
This memory issue appears to be the same bug identified here  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mitappinventortest/Timq-EXaxf8/hnBmuykEBwAJ        Wieland.

MIT is looking at the issue and is looking for a fix.

Sorry, you cannot use a previous version on a different server.  Be patient, the AI2 developers need to evaluate this.   I expect a fix soon but no guarentee it will happen today.

Regards,
Steve

Hal Abelson

Aug 17, 2015, 11:57:58 AM8/17/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Wieland,

Please the source (aia) file so we can have a look.   I expect that what's going on is that the image size is larger in the new system (more pixels) and that this is exceeding video RAM.
Vidoo RAM is separate from and much smaller than the total 1GM RAM on your phone.  Note from the error message that it's truing to allcate 61.9MB for that one image.

But send the project and we can take a more careful look -- attach it to the next post.

== Hal

Kurama21

Aug 18, 2015, 8:23:53 AM8/18/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I am getting the SAME EXACT ERROR. I try to load 6 different icons each are 256x265 and in .PNG format. I really wonder why this error happens?

two of those buttons are working as "Next" "Previous" button, the other two work as a "Play" button, and the final two working as a "STOP" button.

Message has been deleted

Hal Abelson

Aug 21, 2015, 5:53:55 PM8/21/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
There has been no reply to this, so I am closing the thread.  I assume this is the same memory issue other have been having.  See the message at the top of the forum about checking things on the test server.