ai Starter Portable Installation?

D Shearer

Dec 9, 2019, 7:01:45 AM12/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Is it possible to install AI Starter and the emulator on a USB Pen Drive to make it a portable installation?

Thanks,
Derek

Chris Ward

Dec 9, 2019, 7:06:50 AM12/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Derek

Why not try it? On a PC, aiStarter and the emulator are installed in Program Files (x86)

D Shearer

Dec 9, 2019, 8:23:06 AM12/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Chris,

I should have been more detailed in the situation I have!

I work in a school and the IT guys deploy systems using APP-V. This has been a major issue due to the regular updates/having to repackage app and they are not willing to support this moving forward.

They are also not willing to allow a local installation on the PCs so what I am looking to do is see if I can get a working installation up an running that I can manage independently.

Cheers,
Derek

SteveJG

Dec 9, 2019, 8:39:54 AM12/9/19
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
There is no simple solution for your dilemma Derek.

You could attempt using one of the third-party 'versions' of AI2 such as AI2 Ultimate by krupong on a usb stick.
These third party 'stand alone' versions of App Inventor have most of the bells and whistles of MIT AI and are a way to use AI without an Internet connection / WIFI .
Will it work?   No idea.

Alternatively, if you have significant Java skills, you can maintain your own version of a third part app using the source to App Inventor 2  https://mit-cml.github.io/appinventor-sources/

In your situation I would negotiate with your IT department and discuss with your school's administration - is the school serious about providing a programming agenda?   You might bring in a personal laptop to use for App Inventor students to share (if allowed by school policy) if you lose the discussion.  Alternatively, do not use the emulator...only use real devices and use Companion downloaded to the devices.  aiStarter not required unless using the emulator or USB connection option for devices.

App Inventor 2 is a Web application.  It is continually being updated as technology advances and as Google changes its requirements for developing Android apps. Yes, the software must be maintained.

Regards,
Steve

Juan Antonio

Dec 9, 2019, 12:19:22 PM12/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum

Chris Ward

Dec 9, 2019, 1:42:56 PM12/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Derek

That is such a shame. It really surprises me actually, my experiences of IT departments over the years have been polar opposite. I hope I'm wrong but it sounds like your effort to manage things independently is not going to meet with their approval either. Sounds like the school needs to decide if wants to teach computer science or not, it should not be left to you in isolation. I would follow SteveJG's advice. Clearly you can have a full copy of App Inventor running from a USB but that requires funds and Internet access remains a requirement too.

D Shearer

Dec 9, 2019, 5:45:34 PM12/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
One of the issues is that the IT department is not specifically set up for Education, they cater for all services provided for within a local government area. This means that, at times, it feels as if they do not always appreciate some of the specific needs and challenges in delivering education!

In some areas they are great, setting up Python, with all of the required modules. Setting up Notepad++ with various plugins to support Python, PHP, HTML etc etc.

Other areas - huge frustrations. Removing a WYSIWYG Web Development package as it is older, although still works on Win 10. This was used with younger kids, so we need to find a new package and create new teaching materials - the joys!

Thanks to everyone for suggestions, I will take a look at some of the options and see what I can get running.

Evan Patton

Dec 9, 2019, 6:35:13 PM12/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Derek,

You might also want to look at our new Windows emulator package we are beta testing. I worked on making the scripts runnable without hard-coding the Program Files path, so it might just work if you install it to a USB drive. I haven't tried it though.

Regards,
Evan

SteveJG

Dec 9, 2019, 8:42:04 PM12/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Tim, there is a portable version of AI ultimate that can be downloaded and run from an USB stick   https://sourceforge.net/projects/ai2u/files/ai2u%203.8/Portable/
look for portable AI2 Starter 3.8.zip

portable AI2U (no installation version) : 1. Google App Engine. 2. App Inventor 2 Server 3. build server 4. portable JDK 5. android emulator. 6. aiStarter (client connector) 7. added menu so it's easy to start server. just extract to flash drive and run from autorun menu.

BodyMindPower

Dec 10, 2019, 3:26:14 AM12/10/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum