best DataBase with App Inventor

Simona Meli

Oct 23, 2019, 3:40:44 AM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi,
what is the best database to use for save data from my app? I want to save my data in a web DB... mySql is a good choice?
Thanks

TimAI2

Oct 23, 2019, 5:03:26 AM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
That is the $64,000 dollar question !

It all depends on your data, your required outputs, and your skills/knowledge

If your data can be represented in a flat file then google sheets/cloudDB/tinyWebDB, if relational then mysql/Firebase/sqlite

Some obviously require more work than others.....

SteveJG

Oct 23, 2019, 9:00:42 AM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Building on Tim's comments, which database you use depends on whether you need an entirely 'free' database or not.  The following discussion details some options https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mitappinventortest/E0ggiuQEUlE/03zQUp1mCQAJ .   Is the database for your personal use or a commercial activity?

An sql (standard query language) or relational database offers in-built ability to sort or categorize data; a flat file database requires the developer to build his/her own sorting, data manipulation routines with Blocks. Both types of data storage work well.

Any commercial database that has a public api can theoretically be used with App Inventor. Only CloudDB (a Redis open source database), TinyWebDB and FirebaseDB (deprecated by MIT. AI cannot access most of the Firebase capabilities) use a App Inventor controls to simplify access. There may be a third party extension that would allow easy use of other available databases. All functions of an api might not be available using App Inventor 2. Note that Firebase that AI can access is not a relational database.

If you are serious about building an Android app that access an on-line database for commercial purposes, consider coding using a professional compilee like Android Studio or B4A etc.These compilers have the libraries to manipulate most data bases.  Consider either hosting the database on your own server or use a database that provides that service (see link above).

What database to use depends on your skill, app requirements and pocket book.

Simona Meli

Oct 24, 2019, 4:39:51 AM10/24/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
thank you so much for your comprehensive answers! now I will know how to choose the correct database for my future apps