Issues with Texting component

Assigned to ewpa...@gmail.com by chrisw...@gmail.com

Has

Mar 26, 2019, 6:32:27 AM3/26/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello All,

Google rejected an new release of my App with the notification that it includes:

android.permission.SEND_SMS

android.permission.RECEIVE_SMS

I analyzed the APK and found out that those two permissions are included in the APK generated by App Inventor, eventhough the Texting component is not (anymore) included in any of the screens of the App.

I am wondering if you have a hint on how I get read of this component? This is a serious issue. It led to deleting my App from the Google Play store.

Waiting for any support...

Many thanks, best regards,
Has

Chris Ward

Mar 26, 2019, 6:54:17 AM3/26/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello Has

It is a serious issue. I'm assigning your post directly to the MIT team. I believe they may already be aware of the problem.

BodyMindPower

Mar 26, 2019, 8:43:27 AM3/26/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum

So remove these permissions from the Manifest and compile the apk again and see what happens ...
As long as you do not want to disclose your AIA or relevant blocks of your app here, it's difficult to help you. You assure that there is no such (texting) component at all ... but I lack the faith ...

Anke

Evan Patton

Mar 26, 2019, 8:44:42 AM3/26/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Has,

Are you sure you are analyzing the most recent build of your project after the removal of the components? I can access your account and your project with your permission to run additional tests if you email me the account and project name.

Regards,
Evan

TimAI2

Mar 26, 2019, 9:34:51 AM3/26/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum

Has

Mar 26, 2019, 5:02:40 PM3/26/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Evan,

Thank you for following up. Sure, I would send you the information you need. Where can I find your email address ?
And yes I am analyzing the current build. The texting component was included in a more than one old release of the App.

Thanks and
Best regards
Has

Has

Mar 26, 2019, 5:08:50 PM3/26/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello Anke,

Thanks for posing. Sure I checked all the screens and not see the texting component.

Best regards
Has

Evan Patton

Mar 28, 2019, 10:39:08 AM3/28/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Has,

I exported your project and imported it into a locally running copy of App Inventor. When building, I didn't get the texting permissions, which is what I would expect if you've removed all of the Texting components. It's possible that if you tried to build within 5 seconds of removing the last Texting the build might have been based off of the older project state. Try rebuilding your app and see if it still contains the SEND_SMS permission.

Regards,
Evan

Has

Mar 28, 2019, 10:42:09 AM3/28/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Dear Chris and Evan,

Is there any news from the MIT team on solving this issue?

My App has been deleted from Google play store and I really don't know what can I do, since the issue is not related to my code.

Many thanks

Has

Evan Patton

Mar 28, 2019, 12:11:23 PM3/28/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Has,

Please see my response just a few minutes before yours. As I said, I was able to build your app and confirmed that it did not have the permissions. Please try rebuilding and confirm that you see the same.

Regards,
Evan

Has

Mar 28, 2019, 12:56:36 PM3/28/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Evan,

Thanks. I just tried to rebuild and the new APK is still showing the texting.
In addition I added the texting component, created a block for it. Then deleted the block and texting component and rebuilt the APK. It still shows the texting.
Here is what it shows for SEND for e.g.
Is it an issue with the internet version of App Inventor? Can I use your or a working local version to build my App and publish it?
Thank you.
Has

texting.PNG

Evan Patton

Mar 28, 2019, 1:29:29 PM3/28/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Has,

You're not looking at the manifest, you're inspecting every string in the app. If you look specifically at the set of permissions using a tool like AAPT you will see that the permission isn't actually referenced. Those strings also appear in the App Inventor companion app on the Google Play store if you download and inspect it. You should be able to upload this version. If not, please copy and paste the exact error message that Google gives you.

Regards,
Evan

Has

Mar 29, 2019, 5:46:28 AM3/29/19
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Evan,

I tried it one more time. When I upload the APK file Google recognizes that it contains those permissions and immediately brings up the form (screenshot below). Google lets me submit the App for publishing but it rejects it after a few minutes and sends me this information:
Obviously Google does not only check the manifest file but every single line. Why does AI include those lines if they are not used?
Could you help based on this information.

Thanks, Has

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-29 um 10.48.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-29 um 10.06.10.png

BodyMindPower

Mar 29, 2019, 6:24:27 AM3/29/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum

BodyMindPower

Mar 29, 2019, 7:29:54 AM3/29/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
"One thing you should check if nothing seems to be working is that you don’t have any older builds in your internal, alpha or beta release tracks. I just got an email that the version code that was offending was version code 1 which was still active in my internal release track despite having never been published. So, it appears they may be evaluating any build that may even have a chance of getting out into production, not just the ones you’ve released."

Has

Mar 29, 2019, 8:54:18 AM3/29/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi,
This seems to be working. I managed to get the app published by uploading the newest release to a very old version on the Alpha track and promoting this version to the production track. I also deleted all versions on the other tracks.

Many thanks
Has

Evan Patton

Mar 29, 2019, 8:58:10 AM3/29/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Great! Glad you were able to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Evan

BodyMindPower

Mar 31, 2019, 9:38:38 AM3/31/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Has,

fine that it worked that way now.

Google should really explain this (better), this would save a lot of time and trouble.

Anke

Has

Mar 31, 2019, 11:59:48 AM3/31/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Anke,

right - it was a discrepancy between what the App publishing process checks and what it states.

Many thank to you and Evan for the great support!

Best regards
Has