Horst Schulze

Feb 21, 2018, 4:15:05 AM2/21/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi all,

I'm sure that my question has been asked by someone before, but I don't find it.

I want to make my app to load an update of itself and installing it. Also to load another app and installing it.

Before I try myself, if you know a projekt that may help me, please send me the kink.

The app should run only on private devices will not be distributed.

(N.B. It is to make my devellopment projekt in Congo connecting with me. Because I can only devellop part by part and my partners are non-digital and non-electrical natives :) I have to make it as easy as I can.)

Horst

Evan Patton

Feb 22, 2018, 5:15:27 PM2/22/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Horst,

You should take a look at the ActivityStarter and Web components. You can use the Web component to download a new app and then use the ActivityStarter to initiate the installation. The user will still have to follow some prompts in order to accept the upgrade, so it is not as frictionless as publishing via the Google Play store, but it will work. We use this same technique for upgrading the Companion app via QR code.

Regards,
Evan

Horst Schulze

Feb 23, 2018, 3:08:38 AM2/23/18
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Thanky Evan,

for everyone looking for a solution here my project:
When you run install then you can download, install and delete the apps activity and sleep. You have to adapt the path, class and app names to your own project
http://www.jrsch.de/tandandale/install.aia
http://www.jrsch.de/tandandale/sleep.aia
http://www.jrsch.de/tandandale/activity.aia

and
http://www.jrsch.de/tandandale/install.apk
http://www.jrsch.de/tandandale/sleep.apk
http://www.jrsch.de/tandandale/activity.apk

Abraham Getzler

Feb 23, 2018, 10:23:11 AM2/23/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
This is a solution to a Frequently Asked Question.

I've attached some more readable images of your work,
to give people a faster read.

I will be adding this to the AI2 Power Users FAQ
as soon as I can figure out the right section for it.

ABG

install.aia
install_blocks.png
install_designer.PNG
install_globals.PNG
sleep.aia
sleep_blocks.png
sleep_designer.PNG
activity.aia
activity_blocks.png
activity_designer.PNG

Horst Schulze

Feb 23, 2018, 10:24:41 AM2/23/18
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
fine!

Annexe:

In case of Problems change values to

Action: android.intent.action.VIEW or MAIN

DataType: application/vnd.android.package-archive or "/"

ActivityPackage: com.google.android.packageinstaller

ActivityClass: com.android.packageinstaller.PackageInstallerActivity

Abraham Getzler

Feb 23, 2018, 10:36:55 AM2/23/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I've added this thread to the Activity Starter section of FAQ
after the Taifun post for the foundational work.

ABG

Horst Schulze

Feb 24, 2018, 5:30:29 AM2/24/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I'm happy to present a help. Only one, my name is Schulze (german name, pronounced like shoolzer ) not shulze  :)

Abraham Getzler

Feb 24, 2018, 5:12:54 PM2/24/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Sorry - corrected.