Is it possible to continue coding an App Inventor 2 app manually outside AI2?

Assigned to phant...@gmail.com by me

crispy

Mar 5, 2014, 10:27:51 PM3/5/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
AI2 in Chrome on Windows Vista.

Is it possible at all to begin building an app in AI2 but then add to it manually outside of AI2?

Basically, I can't build the app I wanted to build because AI2 does not (yet! [hint]) have the ability to have a background service. If that's all I had to learn in JAVA that would still help tremendously.

- Chris

phantomfoot

Mar 6, 2014, 5:31:51 AM3/6/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
The simple answer is no. From the FAQ:

Can I develop in App Inventor and export the source code to Eclipse or some other IDE to work on it further?

No, App Inventor does not generate Java source code

However there have been some people working on conversion tools, but I have never got any of them to work:

Note: These are for AI Classic only

http://usfaicg.appspot.com/#

https://appinventortojava.appspot.com/

https://code.google.com/p/appinventor-java-translation/

If you want to make the leap to Java, I recommend this appinventor java bridge:

https://code.google.com/p/alternate-java-bridge-library/

You will need to re-program your app from scratch however.