Where's My Class...University Accessibility for Those Who Get Lost

Eva Lee

Oct 21, 2019, 9:55:55 PM10/21/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
On large college campuses, students with disabilities can get lost.  Instead of Where's My Car, I'd like to add user input for class name and room number with gps class location and add to / delete from a list, so that the user can click on a specific class and get directions.  I have used the basics for Where's My Car, but I think I need list picker, a global variable, a text box for user input, and a   I'dmake a list selection, but I am not connecting how I need to add this to Where's My car?  I'd like to add in where the student parked the bike, car, or bus stop location, which as well as the classes will change at times throughout the four years of college, so it needs a delete feature as well as add.

TimAI2

Oct 22, 2019, 4:06:48 AM10/22/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
See HERE for some ideas

The main issues:
  1. Will GPS work inside the building/s
  2. Will GPS be accurate enough to position user correctly

SteveJG

Oct 22, 2019, 9:12:45 AM10/22/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
For more ideas that show how to provide flexibility to your app look at

and

Instead of modifying Where's My Car, consider building an app specifically designed to help student's from getting lost so you can " add in where the student parked the bike, car, or bus stop location, which as well as the classes will change at times throughout the four years of college, so it needs a delete feature as well as add."  In the link Tim provided, there is a link that addresses finding buildings on campus.

What you are building is significantly more complicated.

A tutorial called Chapter 6. Map Tour shows a different approach than using the Map component  that you might be able to adapt.

Good luck.

Regards,
Steve

ABG

Oct 23, 2019, 2:01:05 PM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
If GPS is not an option, you could also build on
but that would require building a table with all
the locations and paths on your campus.

There's a sample table in this app, for
interstellar travelers ...

ABG