Assigned to ewpa...@gmail.com by carte...@gmail.com

Bill Cuthbert

Feb 5, 2019, 2:04:26 PM2/5/19
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
I have this issue on Android 8 - OK on Android 5. My App fails after about 4 minutes with message 'App stopped working'.
I found the the quotient worked but failed when using Modulo and Remainder. I got round this by using subtraction and multiplication to replace the Remainder / Modulo code. This  modified code now works on my Android 8 J3 Samsung 2017 phone. My App is a Speech Time system linked to Bluetooth LEDs, the failing code is within the clock timer block. I have attached a copy of the code that does not work alongside the code section that does work i.e removing the remainder or modulo blocks.

this_works.png
this_does_not_work.png

TimAI2

Feb 5, 2019, 2:46:02 PM2/5/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
You are not the first to report issues like this.

Have assigned to MIT and reported.

Evan Patton

Feb 5, 2019, 4:29:09 PM2/5/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Bill,

Do you see this problem in the companion, compiled app, or both?

Regards,
Evan

Bill Cuthbert

Feb 5, 2019, 5:40:11 PM2/5/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Evan, I saw this problem on the compiled App (I do not use the companion). As a member of a local Speaker's club, I built a Bluetooth unit connected to my App using old Android phones (Android 5 mainly). On the recent purchase of my own Samsung phone (Android 8) I was surprised to see my App fail in this manner. After 2 days investigating the issue I found these maths blocks to be the root cause but no idea why.

Evan Patton

Feb 6, 2019, 10:44:53 AM2/6/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Bill,

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to replicate this with the Android emulator, and I don't have a Samsung device on hand at the moment to check if it's device-specific. Can you capture a log from your phone and send it to me? It will help us track down the source of the issue.

Regards,
Evan