App Package Name

Sudharshan Iyengar

Oct 23, 2019, 1:42:09 AM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Can someone please brief me to locate my App Package Name... Tried a lot of methods.. none worked

TimAI2

Oct 23, 2019, 3:19:00 AM10/23/19
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
For a compiled app, see this thread

Before compiling:

Download an aia project file, open with your unzipper program, look in src for files

Save Project As

screensaveappas.png

App Name (as shown in app folder)

screenappdisplayname.png

You can also change the app icon in Screen1 properties, you must use a png file of 96x96 pixels

BodyMindPower

Oct 23, 2019, 9:24:46 AM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Open aia with eg 7-zip (winZip):

@Tim You can also change the app icon in Screen1 properties, you must use a png file of 96x96 pixels

For clarification:

The launcher icon can have the following dimensions:

36x36, 48x48, 72x72, 96x96, 144x144 and (max) 192x192 px
LDPI, MDPI, HDPI, XHDPI, XXHDPI and XXXHDPI

For the Play Store icon: 512x512 px

https://tekeye.uk/android/android-icon-size
https://romannurik.github.io/AndroidAssetStudio/icons-launcher.html

TimAI2

Oct 23, 2019, 9:48:09 AM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
@ BodyMindPower

That may be so for "Android" Apps but for AppInventor the advice has been:

48x48 or 96x96 png

a quote from Evan:

"You should make sure that the icon is 48x48, and PNG is the preferred format (not JPG). If your icon doesn't have the right specifications, that can cause the app to crash."

SteveJG

Oct 23, 2019, 10:03:37 AM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Tim is correct, when using App Inventor use a 48x48 or 96x96 pixel image.  Either png or jpg works but as Tim/Evan pointed out, png is preferred, png images scale better.

The larger images mentioned by BMP may not work on older Android operating systems .    Other pixel dimensions are possible using Android Studio.  AS apps require the developer to make
different sized images available to a device depending on screen density etc.    A miracle of AI is  it can use a single image for it's image controls regardless of devices since it tries to 'auto scale'.  AS apps require the developer to provide multiple images at various magnifications. Note the sources for the information you provide Anke.

Certainly a developer can try to use other pixel dimensions for the app's display icon, however if your app will not compile or load on a device, use 48x48 or 96x96 pixel 'icon' images.

Regards,
Steve

BodyMindPower

Oct 23, 2019, 10:12:20 AM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Launcher icon with the dimensions: 48 - 192x192 px is working for all tested devices from Android 4 to 9.
Are there really still Android versions under 4? I do not think so.

Evan Patton

Oct 23, 2019, 11:04:19 AM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Actually, we support back to Android SDK 7, which corresponds to Android 2.1. We still have about 1% of our users using versions < 4.0 based on anonymized statistics from our rendezvous server.

Regards,
Evan

BodyMindPower

Oct 23, 2019, 12:08:19 PM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Evan,

yes, but the minSdkVersion is probably on almost all apps API 16 (Android 4.1, Jelly Bean) or API 19 (Android 4.4, KitKat). Some components / extensions require a minSdkVersion anyway (eg Firebase: API 16).

Greetings,
Anke

Evan Patton

Oct 23, 2019, 12:13:00 PM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Yes, but we don't make all apps. We make App Inventor apps, and there's no reason for us to bump the minSdkVersion if we can help it since it would jettison access by some users.

Regards,
Evan

TimAI2

Oct 23, 2019, 2:32:47 PM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Safe answer, can't go wrong answer:

For the app icon use a png image of 48x48 or 96x96 in size

You can create one (96x96) HERE

BodyMindPower

Oct 23, 2019, 8:37:54 PM10/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Ok, but I'm talking about creating a new app. I still have an app in the Play Store from 2013 (minSdkVersion = 1).
But if someone creates a new app, minSdkVersion (API) should usually be at least 16. So the launcher icon can / should have the appropriate dimensions.

Chris Ward

Oct 24, 2019, 8:05:40 AM10/24/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
But if someone creates a new app, minSdkVersion (API) should usually be at least 16.

Not if you are student in one of the many countries where a classroom is lucky to share two or three aged smartphones donated by a Charity.

In any case, I have 96 x 96 App Icons alongside those of commercial Apps on Android 9. Really cannot see any difference in quality, so what is the point?

Evan Patton

Oct 24, 2019, 12:27:09 PM10/24/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
FYI, we also have a student working to implement icon generation of anywhere from ldpi to xxxhdpi icons. Once that change goes live, one can provide an icon up to 1024px and it will automatically create every allowable resolution icon, including the circular and rounded rectangle variants.

Regards,
Evan