I can't use command "adb install xxxx.apk" to install companion(2.50)

Bao Zhang

Feb 2, 2019, 10:27:40 AM2/2/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I can't use command  "adb install xxxx.apk"  to install companion(2.50), but before ver2.47,I can.(win7 or win10),why?  Who can help me?

Evan Patton

Feb 4, 2019, 4:45:40 PM2/4/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Where are you installing it to? The emulator or a device? If so, which? Starting with 2.48, we include native libraries for the new WebRTC connection mechanism, but we do not include binaries for x86 (arm, arm64, and x86_64 are included), so if your emulator or device is using an x86 processor, it may not install with the error message INSTALL_FAILED_MISSING_ABIS (or something similar). If you see a different error message from adb, please let us know.

Regards,
Evan

Bao Zhang

Feb 9, 2019, 11:00:30 PM2/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Thanks:
  •       My operation process is as follows:

  • C:\Program Files (x86)\AppInventor\commands-for-appinventor>run-emulator.bat

    C:\Program Files (x86)\AppInventor\commands-for-appinventor>adb install MITAI2Companion250.apk

    1703 KB/s (15881838 bytes in 9.106s)

            pkg: /data/local/tmp/MITAI2Companion250.apk

    Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_APK]

    rm failed for -f, Read-only file system

Evan Patton

Feb 11, 2019, 1:33:43 PM2/11/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Ok. If you're installing the companion to the emulator, you will need to retrieve this APK instead: http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu/companions/Emulator.apk. The new companion includes some native code that won't work in the emulator, so we package an alternative version that still works there.

Regards,
Evan

Bao Zhang

Feb 12, 2019, 11:59:12 PM2/12/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
When using the “Emulator. Apk " file, I can successfully installed Companions (2.51). But I want to know, will the Emulator.apk also update with MITAI2Companion.apk together?

Thanks

Bao Zhang

Evan Patton

Feb 13, 2019, 3:06:53 PM2/13/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Yes, when we build we build both versions. In fact, there are now three different variants of the companion

1) Standard companion, as published through our website
2) Google Play, which is the standard companion minus texting and phone call permissions per Google's recent policy change
3) Emulator, which is the standard companion without the native libraries for WebRTC

Every release that requires a new companion will result in all three variants being updated.

Regards,
Evan

ABG

Feb 14, 2019, 10:39:24 AM2/14/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Every release that requires a new companion will result in all three variants being updated.

This is good news for GenyMotion users doing alpha tests.

Now we don't have to ask for a new emulator.apk, since
we can assume it will be there for us on the appropriate test server?

ABG

Evan Patton

Feb 14, 2019, 1:40:39 PM2/14/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
At least for ai2, code, and ai2-test there will be versions. I am also publishing it as part of any test servers I set up. We will officially publish them until the time when we decide to drop support for the 2.x branch of the setup tools, which probably won't be for a couple more years.

Regards,
Evan

Bao Zhang

Feb 15, 2019, 8:47:21 PM2/15/19