cannot load software on device using build app (provide QR code)

Assigned to ewpa...@gmail.com by ghica.va...@gmail.com

Devan Chetty

May 17, 2019, 6:30:02 AM5/17/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
when pressing this option, ( always worked properly on the past),, now after latest update, the QR code is recognised and scanned, but the software does not  transfer to the device. It just pops us an internet browser..I am not sure what is going on or how to rectify this, or if it is a bug with the latest update of Ai2 companion and using the latest wev build nb176. I have loaded the new companion app on my Huawei device. I have used this several times in the past without any issues. I also restarted my device, not sure what to do, but the issue persists.Need your urgent help.

Ghica

May 17, 2019, 8:33:52 AM5/17/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I have the same problem and I reported it also. I will do that again.
I think it is a browser problem, and that the apk is really downloaded, but hard to find.

Your solution is to download the .apk to your computer and then download it to your phone to install.
Cheers, Ghica.

ABG

May 17, 2019, 9:51:37 AM5/17/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum

Angel M

May 19, 2019, 10:33:30 PM5/19/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum

SteveJG

May 20, 2019, 8:16:12 AM5/20/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
What you see is the new way App Inventor is required to scan the QR code and transfer the apk to your device.  Google changed security procedures and MITs solution is to use your device browser app to facilitate the download.

The following works for me:

This is how downloading a non GooglePlay app using the QR code works on some devices. The new way to download was required by Google's new security procedures.  The apk download uses your device's browser so it may seem strange compared to what some of you are used to seeing.  Here is what I believe you need to do:

1)  Before you scan the QR code,  set ( Check )  the Unknown sources box in your device Settings.  Perhaps Security> Unknown sources .  Setting this now allows your phone to download an app that is not in GooglePlay with a minimum of fuss. It is **important** to set this now rather than go through the messages that tell you you are attempting to install an app not from Google Play and are you sure you want to do that.   Of course you want to download your own app.

2) Scan the QR code using Companion.

3) Wait while the app downloads (you may see a download symbol in your device Title bar or you might not depending on your Android version). The icon looks a bit like a check box over a small line and should show on the upper left of your device screen and probably is blinking.

4) When the download symbol disappears (stops blinking) from the Title Bar, look at your device's notifications.  You should see  a notification that indicates " xxxxx.apk   Download complete".   where xxxxx is the app you downloaded.  If you see the notification:
                 4a) Click on the notification.  This action continues the installation.
If you do not see the notification, there is probably a message on your Browser.  Scroll down  with the browser until you see the message to download.

6) A screen should appear probably  indicating    "Do you want to install this application?"  .

7)  Answer  Next

8) then answer Install  ... wait

9) then press Open to open the newly installed app.

10)  Smile. Hopefully the apk will now be installed and will work on your device.

Did this work for you?

Regards,
Steve

Ghica

May 20, 2019, 12:06:01 PM5/20/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Grunt!
I finally was able to download the Companion from the Help section, using a QR code reader (QR droid) that allows you to copy the address to your clipboard. Then paste it into the Chrome address bar. Then Chrome starts complaining but downloads it anyway. Now it seems I can use the QR-code reader from the Companion again.
I have done all this one thousand times before, so it is beyond me why this happened. New Google security rules I suppose.
Cheers, Ghica.

Niko Bautista

May 21, 2019, 7:04:14 PM5/21/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Same to me, I've reinstalled older version and works fine again. Waiting for a fix.

Evan Patton

May 22, 2019, 5:54:00 PM5/22/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
We have a fix that has been reviewed and fixes the issue with the browser based download. Based on my tests, Chrome downloads the APK file but doesn't do anything with it, such as writing it to the Downloads directory. However, last night I managed to implement a workaround to get a better experience. As Steve mentioned, we needed to change this due to Google policies, but once the fix goes out it should be a better experience. You may always download and install the version from the website that has the older behavior of performing the installation directly.

Regards,
Evan

Angel M

May 23, 2019, 10:26:30 PM5/23/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
OK.
THANKS

Ronald Schildge

Sep 3, 2019, 6:30:16 AM9/3/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I'm not sure if this solves the problem you are having, but I was not able to download APK files in Chrome on my Android phone. I found that if I long clicked the download link, it worked in Chrome. For my QR code scanner, I needed to set it to load pages in Firefox so that I could download the APK files.