Maximum block amount

Assigned to ewpa...@gmail.com by chrisw...@gmail.com

TestDev

Dec 1, 2019, 8:25:49 PM12/1/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello, again! Sorry if this feels like spam with all the questions I have, but with programming a game, I am unsure if I will be able to fit the limit.

If someone could tell me the limit, that would be great. Thanks!

Slowing down, TestDev

Chris Ward

Dec 1, 2019, 9:15:30 PM12/1/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi TestDav

Much depends on the type of game but most need fast execution and that equates to lean and mean - if your App is coded efficiently, the number of Blocks used should not become an issue. Is there a finite limit? I don't know!

Over to MIT.

Evan Patton

Dec 2, 2019, 9:22:40 AM12/2/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
There's no hard limit on the number of blocks allowed in a screen. However, the more blocks you have the more time your browser needs to spend rendering them, and the more RAM is needed to keep the project in memory while you're coding it. There's also some issues with really complex sequences of blocks triggering out of memory errors when building apps, so if you start to encounter failures when building you might need to reduce the block count.

Regards,
Evan

TestDev

Dec 2, 2019, 9:25:03 AM12/2/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Thank you, Evan!

If that's really the case, then I guess a Chromebook just won't cut it...

Evan Patton

Dec 2, 2019, 9:27:26 AM12/2/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Plenty of people have been able to use App Inventor successfully on Chromebooks. Is there a specific model you're using that is experiencing performance issues?

Regards,
Evan

SteveJG

Dec 2, 2019, 10:03:49 AM12/2/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Based on comments in the Forum regarding maximum blocks; developers start seeing serious issues when their block count exceeds around 7000 blocks.

They experience slow rendering of new Blocks on the Block screen, compiling issues etc.   What is maximum depends on your hardware, browser and Internet connection.  When things start to not work; you have reached
your limit.

Do you want to build larger Projects.  It is time to move to a Professional compiler like Android Studio, using the principles you learned with the AI Blocks.

Regarding building fast action games, you are using the wrong platform.  App Inventor's screen graphic refresh is terrible compared to other Android compilers.  The graphics refresh is AI's worst feature among a lot
of neat toys that allow building games that are nice, but not lightning fast.   If you want to build games, there are game compilers that do that well.

Regards,
Steve

ABG

Dec 2, 2019, 11:09:05 AM12/2/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I hope you are loading your game levels from files to reduce block count.
for an example.

ABG

This conversation is locked