reducing / compressing the size of an image in appinventor

Vidhya Kamath

May 5, 2015, 8:07:40 AM5/5/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hello Taifun / Steve

i really dont have words to express my gratitude for the tutorials, snippets and clarifications you have been providing through puravidaapps.com.  every time i read your posts, i get solution to my issues and get different ideas.

Just like many others, i am not a programmer but have almost developed a dating app which includes an UI (appinventor), PHP and MySQL in 000webhost.  i have two pending items to make the app into production.

a. my app need to pick up / take photo through camera and store it in database. currently its working fine for small images. how do i reduce the size of the images thats selected from the gallery?  i tried adjusting the width / height of the images, but the size remains same.  i want the size to be small for faster loading, any suggestions? (attached the block)

b.  i want to integrate a chat application and i have implemented an app as mentioned in www.appsrox.com, which is based on GCM and its working perfectly fine. I modified them using eclipse as mentioned in the documents and cofigured the UI and server portions of it.  now i want to integrate this with my dating app using activity starter. its working for generic screens.  my question is there a way in which both these apps be integrated and made as a single downloadable app from play store?

i once again thank you for the inputs and wishing you good luck.

regards
Vidhya
imagepicker002.jpg

Vidhya Kamath

May 5, 2015, 8:10:56 AM5/5/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Please discard my second question. i found the answer "packaging an app that calls other apps". apologies.

Taifun

May 5, 2015, 9:42:14 AM5/5/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
my app need to pick up / take photo through camera and store it in database. currently its working fine for small images. how do i reduce the size of the images thats selected from the gallery?  ... i want the size to be small for faster loading, ...

you can try to use the Canvas to save a copy of your image with a different size
but actually I don't think, that the smaller image will load faster, because the original image is already on your device, so a difference in size should not have a large effect... you would see the difference if you load the image from the internet...

Taifun

Vidhya Kamath

May 5, 2015, 12:28:42 PM5/5/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Taifun. The idea for small image is exactly for storing in the internet. Since its a dating app the image from my mobile would be stored in a server and should be small in size for other potential matches when they search.

Could you please give me an idea on how to use canvas for this purpose please. You may provide link to any existing examples, thouGH I am pretty much familar with your website by now.

Thanks in advance.

Vidhya Kamath

May 5, 2015, 6:30:56 PM5/5/15
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Never Mind Taifun. i found using save as canvas from your snippets. thanks again!!!