interface component: Switch => App Crash

Tobees

May 13, 2019, 10:23:08 AM5/13/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Team Ai2,

Since the MIT app Inventor nb176 release I am trying to use the new user interface component: Swith

In the test environment (using the compagnion) everything works fine, but when I make an APK and install it on my android phone the new build part of the app crashes.

The new build part uses the Switch component. (in a new screen)

I started debugging,
... first i disabled all the programming behind the new screen I build  ... same result, app crashed
... then I started to delete parts of the layout and as long there was a switch in the screenlayout the app crashed.  When I delete all the Switches then the app didn't crash.

So my question is; are there any known issues with the new component switch?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Ward

May 13, 2019, 10:26:56 AM5/13/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello Tobees

This issue has indeed been reported by others. Hopefully MIT can find a fix soon.

Peter Mathijssen

May 13, 2019, 10:34:20 AM5/13/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Choose any theme except the classic one and your app won't crash because of using the switch component.

ABG

May 13, 2019, 10:45:27 AM5/13/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum

Chris Ward

May 13, 2019, 10:48:43 AM5/13/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
...It crashes the Emulator, no matter the theme setting and the size settings do not work either (APK).

SteveJG

May 13, 2019, 11:21:17 AM5/13/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
@Chris ... you are using the Windows test emulator.  The test emulator does not update to Companion 2.52.  That is your issue.  The test emulator does NOT work with Switch because it is not updating to Companion 2.52.

@ others ... use Peter's advice.  The Switch does not currently work with the Classic Theme.

Regards,
Steve

Chris Ward

May 13, 2019, 11:35:41 AM5/13/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Steve

Where is the latest version of AI starter? (not the Companion APK).

The version from http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ai2/windows.html is the old MIT_App_Inventor_Tools_2.3.0_win_setup.exe (79.9 MB)

The version I'm using is MIT_App_Inventor_Tools_26.251.0_win_setup.exe 01/05/2019  which fits Evan's description of "sent around a week or two ago"

Tobees

May 13, 2019, 12:48:37 PM5/13/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
@Peter @SteveJG

What do you mean by "Classic Theme"?

(I use the switch and changed the Fontsize, Width, TextColor, TrackcolorActive and ThumbColorActive)

Peter Mathijssen

May 13, 2019, 2:41:10 PM5/13/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum

Its a screen1 setting

Selection_999(451).png

Tobees

May 13, 2019, 4:11:16 PM5/13/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Thanks to all, you have been a great help!!!!