Anistus H

May 2, 2019, 4:42:06 AM5/2/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
i created an app and first time i try to install to my tab it worked but after a day i try it on my phone it give me an error "Apk not installed". not it is not also installing on my tab. the mit app inventer 2 app in my phone give an error "Error 1101" when try to scan qr. what is the problem

Chris Ward

May 2, 2019, 5:36:16 AM5/2/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello Anistus

You will find a list of Error codes on my website:

Error 1101 means "Unable to get a response with specified URL"

Often as not, it's a Browser or internet connection or Broadband problem:
  • Try using FireFox instead of Chrome - currently FF works the best with App Inventor
  • Clear the Browser Cache
  • Make App Inventor the King of the Browser by only having App Inventor on the Browser (and no other Browsers running)
  • Make App Inventor the King of the Broadband - ensure other Users are not using up the bandwidth by watching movies etc
If you have a USB-to-Android device cable, use that instead of a QR Scan (much more reliable!)

Pierre Huguet

May 3, 2019, 6:35:19 PM5/3/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello,
I met the same problem several times with a Nexus 5 using chrome, and with students' smartphones in class (we downloadaed apk files with a separate scan app).
What appears to solve the problem is to use the "connect" mode once, then go back to the build mode will not show the 1101 error anymore.

As Chris indicates, using a USB cable to communicate between smartphone and PC with AI starter  is more reliable, but AI starter installation is not so easy and requires admin rights on PC

Regards
Pierre

Chris Ward

May 4, 2019, 3:36:59 AM5/4/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello Anistus, Pierre

The latest AI starter installer, currently under test and available soon, installs very easily. It delivers an enhanced emulator, so a lot of the early App Testing can be performed on the PC itself.

Yes, Administrator is required to install programs on Windows PCs - same as any other program that is properly installed in accordance with MS requirements. Of course, outside of the class rooms and offices, most people are the Admin of their computer. Inside the class room and office, there should be an IT person that can distribute and install via the network........

Most Android devices have a bridging program (adb.exe) which will install with their PC interface software. You can also find third party bridging programs that, being dedicated to the task, can be easier to use and offer better functionality/performance. One such program is Syncios, which supports Android and iOS (App Inventor will support iOS in the future).

SteveJG

May 4, 2019, 8:33:51 AM5/4/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
@Pierre   The recommended way to install apps is to use aiStarter and the QR code in most cases  Most school IT staff use a 'silent install' to install aiStarter on multiple networked PCs in a single step.  That process is described in the first of the two links provided here
There are different ways to install apps on devices as you discovered, however using the QR code with aiStarter may be a better solution that what you are doing presently.  Hopefully installing the aiStarter software on school PCs will be significantly easier if your IT people follow the guidelines.

Regards,
Steve