audio recording: only 3gp? How to set recording sampling rate?

Reinhold Behringer

Sep 25, 2014, 11:23:17 AM9/25/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I got the sound recording working ok in my app, but the quality of the audio is not great; I would like to increase the sampling rate to improve this quality, and possibly also set a different audio format, other than 3gp.
Is this possible? The features of the soundrecorder do not seem to have any method for changing the recording format. Can this be set globally somewhere in Android?

Cheers,
Reinhold

Gareth Haylings

Sep 25, 2014, 12:04:35 PM9/25/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Not possible in MIT AI sorry.

I have added this feature to my own version of App Inventor called Mad Robots AI. The software is still in heavily in development but to demonstrate  the sound rate and wav file saving I created a demo app the other day in Mad Robots AI called Talking Squishy which is a live voice changer. Here's the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_test.Talking_Squishy

The app works better if you use headphone with a mic built in as you tend to get a sound feedback loop otherwise.

Reinhold Behringer

Sep 26, 2014, 3:27:27 PM9/26/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gareth,
I did check out the Mad Robot site - well done!
But I was unable to find in which of the media objects the sample rate is set. The soundrecorder seems still to have the same functions / methods / properties as the original AppInventor object; but what I would need is to be able to explicitly set the properties of the recorded sound before the recording starts. Would that be possible with Mad Robots?

Gareth Haylings

Oct 12, 2014, 8:58:23 AM10/12/14
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reinhold

Sorry for not answering soon. Yes you can do this on the Mad Robots AI.. The one I have on the web as the moment would do it but shortly I will be release the version with the feature you are after to keep up to data with my progress and know when the Mad Robots AI will be available please fill in your email on the following web link and I will keep you posted: http://madrobots.wix.com/themadrobot#!contact-me/c232u