Backpack does not work

Assigned to ewpa...@gmail.com by me

Virginia Pajares Martín

Dec 3, 2018, 5:18:12 PM12/3/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum

Hi,

I have already seen the topics about the known bug with the backpack and I am opening a new topic because the others are closed.

FYI, I have tried all your suggestions, even clicking the right button "Paste All Blocks from BackPack(n)". Clicking the right button, I can see that I have 14 blocks into my backpack, but when I select that option only 4 are copied.

Also, if I click my backpack nothing happens, although I make the steps you have suggested in the other topics.

I do not know how to copy my blocks into another project. Please, could you help me.

Same problem happens with Windows 10.

Thanks in advance.

Evan Patton

Dec 3, 2018, 5:30:19 PM12/3/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Virginia,

This usually is due to some corruption in the backpack.xml file for your account. Would you mind if we access your account to examine the backpack file to see what's happening?

Regards,
Evan

Chris Ward

Dec 3, 2018, 6:32:17 PM12/3/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello Virginia

Quick question - what Browser are you using?

Virginia Pajares Martín

Dec 4, 2018, 4:23:33 PM12/4/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Chris,

I have tried with Safari (Mac) and Chrome (Windows and Mac).

Thanks in advance

Virginia Pajares Martín

Dec 4, 2018, 4:25:49 PM12/4/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi,

No issues, tell me how can I tell you my account in privacy. With this examination, will I lose my projects?

Thanks,

Evan Patton

Dec 4, 2018, 4:55:44 PM12/4/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Virginia,

If it is the same account as the one you are using to post to this group then I will use that. Alternatively, you can email me the information at ewpatton [at] mit [dot] edu. When we access your account it is in a special read-only mode, so you will not lose data.

Regards,
Evan

Virginia Pajares Martín

Dec 5, 2018, 12:59:23 PM12/5/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Evan,

Thank you for your information.

I am using the same account that I use to write in here.

Best regards,

Evan Patton

Dec 11, 2018, 2:30:30 PM12/11/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum

Hi Virginia,

I took a look at your account and I think I understand what's going on. The good news is that your backpack is not corrupt like I hypothesized. The problem that you're experiencing is a known issue. The issue is that your backpack contains blocks related to an extension, specifically the BluetoothLE extension, but the extension is not in the project. When the backpack attempts to render the blocks, it throws an exception trying to create the blocks for BluetoothLE, and so it fails to open. As a workaround, you should be able to open a project with the BluetoothLE extension, open the backpack, and remove any block stacks that include the BluetoothLE component by right-clicking on them in the backpack and selecting the "Remove from Backpack" menu item.

I'm also working on a fix so that this won't be an issue in the future.

Regards,
Evan

Abraham Getzler

Dec 11, 2018, 3:46:59 PM12/11/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum

Virginia Pajares Martín

Dec 11, 2018, 4:27:14 PM12/11/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Evan,

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

The workaround I have just made in order to use the blocks I have in my backpack it has been the following:
- Add the BluetoothLTE extension to a new project
- Go to Blocks' part
- Backpack was available with my Bluetooth blocks

¡¡Thank you very much!! :)

Best regards,