The only place the Companion ISN'T needed is when you send a compiled APK to yourself via email.
The Companion connects App Inventor with the device... be it an emulator, or a physical device. For example:
- You Build your APK but send it to the device via the QR barcode.
- You connect real time in the development environment to the emulator via the Companion on the emulator.
- You connect the device in development mode by choosing the Companion from the Connect menu, and then scanning using the Companion on the device...
Here are some of the connection issues I know about:
Most of the emulator connection problems we have seen are a result of
not having the most current version of the App Inventor setup software,
or that software having been incompletely installed.
there can be many other issues that could cause the connection to the
emulator to fail. Please read and follow the document below on
Click here for Emulator Setup and Trouble Shooting Instructions
you still cannot get the emulator running after following that
document, please post in the forum and we'll try to help you out.
Make sure too that your browser versions are current. If you're using Chrome, switch to Firefox and try that...
One more thing you should try...
You should MANUALLY uninstall AI2 and then run setup again. Here's the instructions for that:
Please reinstall the setup software: FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW EXACTLY, DO NOT SKIP OR ALTER ANY STEPS:
I suggest you try to reinstall the software and see if it still happens,
and then, PLEASE report back here and let us know if it fixed your
problem. Please follow these steps.
- Close down everything on your computer and REBOOT.
- After the reboot, uninstall the software from the icon in the App Inventor folder... it'll be uninstall.exe.
- REBOOT AGAIN.
To be SURE, go to your Program Files folder and make sure the folder
for AppInventor is gone. If not, please delete it before running the
- Go to the setup link (setup software), and reinstall the App Inventor software. DO NOT CHANGE THE DEFAULTS THAT ARE PROVIDED BY THE SETUP SOFTWARE SUCH AS FOLDER ETC.
Don't run an older setup file version that you might have saved to the
downloads folder, but use the current one from the link above.
- After the setup is finished...REBOOT AGAIN
- Then, try going to the App Inventor site and try loading the emulator again.
You'll have to update the Companion once more. It should happen automatically, but if it doesn't, shut down the emulator. Do a Hard reset from the Connect menu. Click on Connect, then emulator. The emulator will send up a message that it's out of date... Choose OK to continue... FOLLOW THE PROMPTS EXACTLY! ;)!
That should fix your issue, but make SURE you come back here and reply back so we know it worked, or didn't work.