Steven Rice

Mar 5, 2019, 7:36:50 AM3/5/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I just tried to download and install an app right on my Samsung Galaxy S8+. But, the Package installer keeps stopping. I recorded it, so you can see what I mean :

Evan Patton

Mar 5, 2019, 9:05:46 AM3/5/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Steven,

Do you already have an app with that package name installed? If so, was it built on an different App Inventor server (in which case the signing keys might be different)? If not, have you tried removing the app's Icon since that sometimes causes problems if it is irregularly shaped? You could also capture the stack trace for the package installer using adb, which might give some hints as to why it's crashing and how we might fix it.

Regards,
Evan

Mauro Racca

Mar 6, 2019, 7:09:32 AM3/6/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
same problem.

i changed on screen1 Sizing from "responsive" to "fixed" and works well...

Br

Mauro

Evan Patton

Mar 6, 2019, 9:32:40 AM3/6/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
This really shouldn't have an effect. The Sizing parameter is a change applied at runtime, which would require that the package manager successfully installs the app first.

Regards,
Evan

SteveJG

Mar 6, 2019, 9:44:35 AM3/6/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Search for package installer in the Forum.    You will find the most frequent reason for this response is using a incorrectly sized App icon.  The 'icon' should be a
48 x 48 pixel or 96 x 96 pixel png or jpg image.  Larger images will fail to load on some devices.

Regards,
Steve

Chris Ward

Mar 6, 2019, 9:52:16 AM3/6/19
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Something that has got through builds before but can fail the install is an oversized App icon. I use 96 x 96 pix PNG format, zero compression. Or perhaps the icon or other image is corrupted in some way.

When you build the APK, you no doubt have Anti-virus running. I wonder if the AV could be damaging the build process - this is a known problem when building Windows Desktop programs.

Evan Patton

Mar 6, 2019, 10:50:31 AM3/6/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Steven,

If you could send me the APK that fails to install I can run some analysis on it and see if I can understand what's happening.

Regards,
Evan

Steven Rice

Mar 6, 2019, 11:48:52 AM3/6/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
How would I send it to you for testing? It only happened when I was trying to download and install it on my phone. Because I was on the road, away from my home computer. I will try again on my Galaxy S8+, but I am on my home WiFi network. So it might work. But, if I have the same problem, how can I send it to you?

Evan Patton

Mar 6, 2019, 3:40:01 PM3/6/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Emailing it to ewpatton at mit dot edu should be fine, or you can share it via Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. In particular, share the copy saved to your device so that we can check to see if something might have interfered there (vs downloading it to your computer).

Regards,
Evan