Little change needed to the "ClientSocketAI2Ext" extension

andre castro

Apr 4, 2019, 8:30:36 AM4/4/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I am a user of MIT Application Inventor 2, I have a basic background in Java, but I do not know how to change and compile Android Studio extensions.

In the current projet I'm doing I am using the wonderful following extension created by Jean-Rodolphe Letertre:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/mitappinventortest/app-inventor-extensions/OCzEZC4FpEU

Which works pretty well, however there is a small drawback that could be removed from the code (eg, commented out, replace by 'return', etc ...), more specifically there are lots of lines as these ones at the error handler event:

throw new YailRuntimeError (...

This is because whenever happens a disconnection from this client TCP socket with the server, a pop-up window appears, interrupting the execution of the program, requiring the user interaction, and to make it worse, the only button option to interact is to exit the program. These lines are not a functional in the sense of the overall workflow, but rather informative, therefore could be removed with no risk. The most important status needed is already available at a variable on this extension (connected, not-connected).

Could someone here do that kindness, and make the modified extension available to the community?

Thanks in advance.

TimAI2

Apr 4, 2019, 8:37:35 AM4/4/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Best to ask the developer directly about this requirement

andre castro

Apr 4, 2019, 10:40:12 AM4/4/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Ok, thanks for your feedback, however I don't know what do do from now on, I'm new on posting to Google goups.
Should I expect someone with the moderator/administrator to move this thread to there, or should I create another discussion there?

TimAI2

Apr 4, 2019, 10:57:27 AM4/4/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
For you to:

1. contact the developer of the extension directly
2. Join the open source development forum and post there

andre castro

Apr 4, 2019, 4:43:34 PM4/4/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I obviously had considered both these options, however:
  1. I don't have the developer's contact.
  2. The above mentioned thread is closed.
Moreover, in general the purpose of the forums is to share knowledge, and making requests directly to developers should be avoided, but I will follow your advice, thanks anyway.

TimAI2

Apr 4, 2019, 5:04:43 PM4/4/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
1. From the thread you linked to in the first place:

moicjarod "at" gmail "dot" com

2. Just start a new thread here once you joined

As far as I know, you are the only person who has raised this issue, therefore it may be particular just to you...?