Unable to connect to code.appinventor.mit.edu

happiness

May 7, 2019, 5:56:20 AM5/7/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
The last couple of days we've been unable to connect to http://code.appinventor.mit.edu/ , which is the "no login" app inventor platform. We are using this site for a school lesson and it's essential to us. Is there a problem with the server?

SteveJG

May 7, 2019, 8:10:47 AM5/7/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
The code app inventor server is working properly at the moment.  It works with Companion 2.51a and will build an apk.

Are you still having issues?    You say you are unable to connect.   When you use the server, are you using a re-enter code?     When does it fail?  or asked another way, what happens when you attempt to log in"

Regards,
Steve

happiness

May 7, 2019, 1:06:50 PM5/7/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Last time i've tried it was about 7 hours before at school, and it didn't work. I get a "connection denied" and "server is down at the moment" page. That is, the site won't load at all. I'm trying it now from home and it works. So, nobody else had issues? Should I look for a local problem at my school's router or provider?

SteveJG

May 7, 2019, 2:14:32 PM5/7/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Yes,  look for a local problem at your school's router or provider.   No one at all reported code appinventor issues recently.  Check with your IT department, they may have made recent changes that block that server ...  ensure ports 8001 and 8004 are open.

happiness

May 7, 2019, 2:25:33 PM5/7/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
ok i'll do that and get back to you.

SteveJG

May 7, 2019, 2:35:11 PM5/7/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Here is some advice MIT made not to long ago that might be of value to your IT people

" there is a proxy server involved. This may be at the school level or above it. A proxy server is different then a router, it terminates HTTP sessions and then makes its own connection to the ultimate destination. It is a "device in the middle". They are often used to cache webpages so that when a bunch of people (say a class full) attempts to access the same webpage, only one copy is fetched from the ultimate destination and then provided to all of the people making the request. They can significantly improve the performance of web page views.

...App Inventor is not a webpage, but a web based application. It can put a lot of stress on a proxy server. When the proxy server becomes overloaded, you will see errors like you are seeing...

happiness

May 8, 2019, 2:19:55 PM5/8/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Well I've contacted the school network provider and they acknowledged that the site is restricted because of them. They are looking into it. Thanks.

SteveJG

May 8, 2019, 2:26:14 PM5/8/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Thank you for letting us know blacklisting the site by the provider is the problem.   Hope the provider resolves the situation for you guys soon.   Please let us know when things are working again.

-- Steve