Establishing secure connection stops at 20 %

guckuck

Apr 9, 2019, 6:21:57 AM4/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi,

I cannot connect with the companion app. The app ist up to date. The progress bar (Establishing secure connection) stops at 20 %. The legacy connection works, Emulator works also.

My Phone: Moto Z3 Play with Android 9.0

I tested it with Safari, Chrome and Firefox.

Best regards,
kay

TimAI2

Apr 9, 2019, 6:50:28 AM4/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
What version of the companion app are you using?

Get the latest from the AI2 file menu : Help : Companion Information

not the play store version

Also probably won't work with Safari anyway...

guckuck

Apr 9, 2019, 6:55:16 AM4/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Sorry, don't work. Version changed from 2.51a to 2.51au. Tested it with Firefox.

My OS: MacOS 10.14.4

Best regards
Kay

TimAI2

Apr 9, 2019, 6:57:37 AM4/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
It may be you will need to use legacy then, for the time being ? You say that works...

SteveJG

Apr 9, 2019, 8:32:18 AM4/9/19
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
MIT explains why you may need to continue to use the legacy connection option here   https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/mitappinventortest/school$20legacy%7Csort:date/mitappinventortest/vhbPQazvYmo/IvGbX9W9AgAJ     and here   https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/mitappinventortest/school$20legacy%7Csort:date/mitappinventortest/10BSGBkWnaY/q1m3WGQyFwAJ

Try using a network other than the School network and you probably can connect normally (without checking the Companion Legacy block).   Have you tried that Kay?

Regards,
Steve

guckuck

Apr 9, 2019, 12:25:39 PM4/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Thank you for these information.

I tested it at home but same problem (Chrome and Firefox).

Kay

Rudi Weyn

Apr 9, 2019, 5:42:34 PM4/9/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I have the same problem at my office, at home it works fine.
Legacy connection doesn't work also.
When I close the wifi so my phone will use the gsm network then it works.

TimAI2

Apr 10, 2019, 6:40:47 AM4/10/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
It is possible you have subnets at work for wifi which may not be connected to other subnets that your PC is on

Nicole Nelson

Apr 11, 2019, 1:29:45 PM4/11/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I am having the same trouble, but the legacy connection won't work either. I am using an Amazon Fire and chromebook on our school's network.  Both the computer and the device are on the same network.

SteveJG

Apr 11, 2019, 2:34:52 PM4/11/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
@ Nicole      I suspect you do not have the same issue.  Do you connect OK when you use a home or other non-school network?   I suspect your school network blocks its router ports 8001 and 8004 which are required to use App Inventor 2.  Check with the school IT department to find out if they block those .

The issue could also be the use of a Chromebook.   App Inventor is not user friendly with some Chromebooks ... see https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/mitappinventortest/chromebook%7Csort:date    which discusses issues using Chromebooks and I think some solutions.   If neither suggestion helps, return here and let us know and tell us in more detail what happens when your Chromebook and Fire are unable to connect ... error messages etc.  You might have to use the usb method of live development in your school environment.

Regards,
Steve