Intermittent build problems on ai2.appinventor.mit.edu

Assigned to ewpa...@gmail.com by chrisw...@gmail.com

Evan Patton

Sep 21, 2018, 2:38:01 PM9/21/18
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

We are aware that there are some ongoing issues with building larger projects on ai2.appinventor.mit.edu. We are working to localize the source of this issue. In the meantime, you should be able to build larger projects using the code.appinventor.mit.edu. We will update this post when we have more information.

UPDATE (2018-09-21 16:56 EDT): We have deployed a potential solution to the build problem. If you are still unable to compile your apps due to timeouts, please let us know.
UPDATE (2018-09-21 18:08 EDT): The "fix" we deployed has alleviated some build failures, but doesn't completely solve the problem. We are working on some alternative approaches to further improve the communication between AI2 and the build servers.

Regards,
Evan

Abraham Getzler

Sep 21, 2018, 3:24:14 PM9/21/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum

BodyMindPower

Sep 24, 2018, 1:35:36 AM9/24/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum

But the current version of code.appinventor.mit.edu uses compileSdkVersion = 22, NOT compileSdkVersion = 26.
So that does not really help.

Therefore, my solution is first that I remove some assets from the aia project and create the apk. Then I decompile the apk (AppToMarket or APK Studio / apktool) and add the missing assets again.

Anke

Chris Ward

Sep 24, 2018, 5:26:40 AM9/24/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello Anke

Another way is to store the assets on your own web server and have the App download them on first run. This reduces the APK install time, a good thing because if it takes "too long", some Users will think it has failed and abort it.

Bruno Bueno Mena

Sep 25, 2018, 5:36:01 AM9/25/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I want to report a problem, maybe it can help your team:

2 notifiers are showing in a row now in my app that didnt happen with previous compilations,

a) Runtime Error
invoke: no method named "Get value" in class java.lang.Boolean
END APPLICATION

b) Problem with application
cannot find the component screen10

The screen 10 is actually the second of the app but I named like this.
They occur when I switch screens.

Chris Ward

Sep 25, 2018, 6:26:07 AM9/25/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hello Bruno

It is possible that your issues are not actually related to this post. They sound like a problem with Screen management or potentially another logic issue in your Blocks. Do you want to share your Project File with us to see if we can find the cause of the problem?

Bruno Bueno Mena

Sep 25, 2018, 1:09:56 PM9/25/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Well its the app I'm selling in Google Play, and it had no issues with
screens before the new compilation.

If there's a way to send it to you privately I'd agree.

Chris Ward

Sep 25, 2018, 1:47:57 PM9/25/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Bruno

How about a Test app which is basically your App - same number of screens and same screen management, but without any of the GUI or Code meat and potatoes?

Alternatively you can give MIT permission to access your project from the Server.

Bruno Bueno Mena

Sep 25, 2018, 2:10:31 PM9/25/18
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Ok, you have my persmission to see it from the server.

The project is called ForLand_Companion.

I have to say that it used to work before, but now it seems
that the switch of screens and the balls and canvas from the
menu dont work properly.

If for some reason you need to download a file to test my app:

you can download it inside my app.

Chris Ward

Sep 25, 2018, 2:25:22 PM9/25/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Hi Bruno

I have assigned your Project to MIT Guru Evan Patton. I'm sure you will appreciate that he is a very busy man, but if anyone can pin down a fault, old or new, it's Evan.

Bruno Bueno Mena

Sep 25, 2018, 2:57:11 PM9/25/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Ok, Im honored to be examinated by him :)

Evan Patton

Sep 25, 2018, 3:22:39 PM9/25/18
to MIT App Inventor Forum
This post was specifically for failures to build projects due to timeouts. I'll take a look at the project, but we should really move the conversation to a fresh post rather than post hijack. Bruno, please open a separate discussion for your issue.

Regards,
Evan