Unable to install created apps on phone (using Build->App provide QR)

leonard...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2013, 7:22:53 AM12/6/13
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com
Hey I recently began using the MIT AI2, after having done all the tutorials in the original and getting them to function no problems.

I decided to re-do all the tutorials in AI2 just to reaffirm methods, and I created HelloPurr and I am able to connect to my device for live testing and it works, however I am unable to install the packaged app on my phone. After the file is downloaded, and I go to install (using apk installer or just clicking the file) it goes to a black screen for a few seconds and nothing happens. I have the setting turned ON to allow installation of untrusted apps.

I have a Windows 8 Laptop
Using MIT AI2
Samsung Note 2 is my device.

Please help.. I don't even feel like moving to the next tutorials not being able to get a completed project on my phone.

Hal Abelson

Dec 6, 2013, 10:18:32 AM12/6/13
to mitappinv...@googlegroups.com, leonard...@gmail.com
When you used the QR code, did the file actually download to the phone?   If not, then all I can think of is that your phone does not have the same Google id as you are using with App Inventor.
If the apk file did download, but did not install, I don't know what to suggest -- it's an ordinary apk file that the phone treats as any other.

It's possible that there could be some bug in the app that is preventing things from downloading.  that seems unlikely,, but you can check that by trying it on the emulator.

The other thing you can do is sideload the app, but downloading the apk file to your computer and using adb install, provided the phone can talk to the computer with the usb cable.