jose Munoz

May 10, 2019, 9:15:12 PM5/10/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I'm trying to make a simple alert notification app. I would like to send alerts to anyone who has this app I'm trying to build. I don't really know where to start and I consider myself an amateur at this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

TimAI2

May 11, 2019, 5:06:48 AM5/11/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
It is possible (but not trivial) to provide in app alerts (using online database/web connectivity) - when the app is open, but only when the app is open, AI2 does not run in the background
You could try one of the AI2 derivatives (see FAQ) for push notifications

A more detailed explanation of what you want to achieve would help us to help further .....

SteveJG

May 11, 2019, 8:53:31 AM5/11/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
You might use the real time CloudDB.  (or perhaps a FirebaseDB)  Anyone who has the same apk can see changes made by other users.  It is rather easy using Labels to display new information on all devices in which the app is actively runnint.  It is significantly more difficult if a notification is required. (use an extension) as Tim has mentioned.

To start, here are a couple of links

There are other ways (google  app inventor  clouddb  or firebasedb chat)

Since you are new , these esources to help you learn to use the AI2 tools  A very good way to learn App Inventor is to read the free Inventor's Manual here in the AI2 free online eBook   http://www.appinventor.org/book2 ... the links are at the bottom of the Web page.  The book 'teaches' users how to program with AI2 blocks.

There is a free programming course here http://www.appinventor.org/content/CourseInABox/Intro  and the aia files for the projects in the book are here:  http://www.appinventor.org/bookFiles

How to do a lot of basic things with App Inventor are described here:  http://www.appinventor.org/content/howDoYou/eventHandling  .

Regards,
Steve