Steve H

May 7, 2019, 12:16:02 PM5/7/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
So, my idea is turning out harder to execute than I thought. I am familiar with Snap! and have done some AppInventor as part of training.

I am the advisor for our school's Student Leadership Group. Next year I want to go to something like convocation credits or service hours to have them remain in good standing.

My idea is to take their already established Student ID from our Database and encode some information into a code that they would put on the back of their student ID. When they show up to work an event, or hear a lecture, I can enter the date, name of the event, and how many credits it's worth, and have the scan record their name and then be able to dump all that info into a spreadsheet or CSV so I can keep up with it more easily.

I would also love a list dropdown that has some standard requirements (weekly meeting - .5 credit) that would populate the event name and number of hours if it wasn't left blank.

For now, I am the only one that I foresee using this app on my Nokia 7.1. I know how to set up my inputs for the text boxes to enter date and such, but then I get a bit overwhelmed.

I may have missed a tutorial. The similarities to other block programming made me feel confident enough to jump in and that may be my mistake. I did search this forum for a similar issue.

ABG

May 7, 2019, 1:51:45 PM5/7/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Here's a sample app for score keeping in TinyDB
with a table export option.

Its data model is more complex than you need.
You don't need teams, and the matches might be school events.
The table of school events should contain the credits (score) per meeting,
and that should be copied into the attendance table,
with one row per date/event/studentID/credits.

Given the attendance table exported as csv into
a spreadsheet, you can sort and group to get student totals.

ABG

Steve H

May 7, 2019, 3:03:36 PM5/7/19
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Thanks I do think I can tweak this, but when I am really unfamiliar with setting up the barcode scanner other than I know I need to set up the info on the barcode in a particular order. That's a newer part of coding for me.