My experiance installing App Inventer and the problems.

Bud Ryan

Nov 15, 2015, 10:53:59 AM11/15/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I installed App Inventor twice, both times the desktop icon for aiStarter.exe when clicked said path not found. The Icon for it was a gear and not the MIT Icon. I made new shortcut it now works fine.

In App Inventor 2 pressing the emulator button to start the emulator, It kept telling me to start aiStarter, which was already running. I could start the android emulator  by double clicking the file.

I found that If  I ran adbrestart.bat with the android emulator closed it fixed it. but when restarting the MIT app Inventor and aiStarter.exe, each time I need to run adbrestart.bat to make the emulator work

for some reason.

SteveJG

Nov 15, 2015, 12:33:15 PM11/15/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Thanks for your observations Bud.   Yes, these things happen.

Here are a few things you might do to amelioriate your set up:

1)  Uninstall the aiStarter/emulator software.   Now re-install  using a right click instead of a left click on the install exe file.   The installation requires Administrative privileges; the installer is supposed to handle that automatically but does NOT ALWAYS do so (Why? No idea, it just happens on some Users' hardware).   Installing with a right click ensures the Admin is use; a pop up displays with instructions...follow them.  Numerous Users successfully got the emulator and aiStarter to working doing that.

2) Regarding the emulator.   When initially installed, the emulator software is associated with an old version of Companion which is used as a 'place holder.'     On first run, Users are supposed to get a message informing them the Companion is out of date..if the User indicates  OK instead of Not Now, the latest version of Companion (which is now 2.35) installs and is associated with the emulator but the user must follow the directions in the pop up screen to complete the install.   Sometimes, the screen giving you a chance to update does not display  (again I do not known why, I only know it sometimes happens).   You can fix this.    From   Connect     select   Connect>Hard Reset .  Do the Hard Reset and it should 'fix' the emulator.  You may have to close the browser after Hard Resetting and start it again to get the desired response form the emulator  To start the emulator no, all you should need to do (if aiStarter is not already running ..on some hardware, aiStarter starts automatically) is  Connect >  Emulator .   Perhaps that is what you need to do?

Hope there is something above that can help you get your emulator working properly.  Can you use the emulator OK after following this advice?

Regards,
Steve