Dot

Aug 17, 2015, 9:22:22 PM8/17/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
I am relatively new to computer usage and using apps.  I do have several ideas for apps however and I would like to know more about copyrighting apps.  How does one go about copyrighting an app at it's inception before developing it so that someone else doesnt reap any financial reward right from under you.

SteveJG

Aug 17, 2015, 9:32:31 PM8/17/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
There is no suggested method; if you need protection consult an attorney.  Copyright law is exceedingly complicated.  In the US, in other countries the basis is different.

Here is 'advice' from the US Copyright office, the document might help you:  http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html  The advice may or may not apply to your intellectual property.

Here is another document to read:  http://copyright.gov/circs/circ61.pdf

In the About field, you can post a copyright notice.  An obvious copyright notice might increase your standing in a lawsuit.

You can post a licensing notice in the app.  A notice explains your licensing terms.  Enforcing is another matter.

This post is NOT legal advice.   There are links where you can look for more information to decide what you want to do.  Consult an attorney if you believe you need to protect something very valuable.

Dot

Aug 17, 2015, 9:38:41 PM8/17/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Thank you SteveJG for such helpful advice.  I was expecting some amused responses at what an amateur I am with computer technology.  Now, back to the drawing board as they say.