Responsive Design -- Cannot find "Screen.Sizing" to set to Reponsive or Fixed

Travis Bennett

Oct 5, 2015, 8:37:22 AM10/5/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
The article describing Responsive Design in App Inventor (August 2015), says there is a new property "Screen.Sizing" that can be set to either "Fixed" or "Responsive."

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Abs9nt2EfMjAGau_uCpS47SidPZ0YsU6FqvgLhnivwQ/pub#h.n2l3plfg5yj2

"Many developers will not want to change the way they are building apps, merely to provide responsive design.   To accommodate this choice, App Inventor includes a screen property called Screen.Sizing.  Screen.Sizing can be set to either fixed or responsive.   When sizing is fixed, App Inventor creates apps for a screen of size 320 pixels wide and 460 pixels high, but it scales the app’s appearance to match the actual size of the screen that the app is running on. This display is essentially equivalent to how App Inventor apps were rendered on Tablets prior to App Inventor version 145."

I'm having trouble getting an app I wrote for a Galaxy S3 to fit the screen on a Galaxy S5. So, I'd like to change this property, but cannot find it to set it.

Where should I be looking?

Thanks!

SteveJG

Oct 5, 2015, 10:11:02 AM10/5/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
There are no Blocks to set Responsive / Fixed.    To set Responsive, on the Designer screen   with Screen1 selected in Components go to Properties.   You will find a box below Sizing that displays Fixed .  This is about 2/3 down.  Change this box to Responsive.

Did that work for you?

Regards,
Steve

Travis Bennett

Oct 5, 2015, 1:09:17 PM10/5/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
Steve,

Thanks -- that's what I couldn't find. I did not realize that I had to be on Screen 1 to set this property. I guess the property is app-wide.
I hope it fixes it, but I'll have to test it later.

Can I contribute to the documentation on the page I linked to clarify this?

Thanks again,
Travis

Hal Abelson

Oct 5, 2015, 8:00:02 PM10/5/15
to MIT App Inventor Forum
travis

Thanks for offering to clarify the documentation.

Go to the doc page:

http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu/reference/other/responsiveDesign.html

and click the link at the top that reads

Click here for a version of this page on which you can comment.

== Hal