Suggesting 2 features

Jaro

Jul 7, 2009, 3:06:57 PM7/7/09
to mistelix
I would like to suggest new features

1) Check for mistelix update on the web and/or updates on plugins

I don't need to have the brand new version of every program, but I
think that some users would like that.

If possible, the clicking on the link may start the installation
process, but as I am not a programmer, I am not sure if this is
possible.

2) Change language (of the program)

Some users (e.g. on public PCs, such as at schools or inet cafés)
cannot choose the language which the distribution on their PC uses.

This function may also be useful for translators who would be able to
switch between their languages and English easily when checking their
translation in the action.

Jordi Mas

Jul 8, 2009, 3:38:46 AM7/8/09
to mist...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jaro,

I would like to suggest new features

1) Check for mistelix update on the web and/or updates on plugins

I don't need to have the brand new version of every program, but I
think that some users would like that.

If possible, the clicking on the link may start the installation
process, but as I am not a programmer, I am not sure if this is
possible.

In Linux distributions users get upgrades of software using tru the system, that is a different approach to Windows or Mac systems.

Actually, every distribution has a different packing system.

For example, if you install Mistelix with Debian, once it is accepted as piece of software there, you will get the updates when you update your system.

However, at some point I will consider using Mono.Addins to distribute plugins, since their packing (they are just .Net assemblies) is independent to the distribution used.

2) Change language (of the program)

Some users (e.g. on public PCs, such as at schools or inet cafés)
cannot choose the language which the distribution on their PC uses.

This function may also be useful for translators who would be able to
switch between their languages and English easily when checking their
translation in the action.

Mistelix is hosted at gnome.org and built using Gnome infrastructure.

In GNOME, the user changes the language of the system with the GNOME interface. It is something that you're not supposed to do with the application.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Jordi,

Jaroslav Rynik

Jul 8, 2009, 4:02:30 AM7/8/09
to mist...@googlegroups.com

Hello Jordi,

I am not sure if I haven't caused confusion in expressing the second point.

I wanted to say that under some circumstatances it might be helpful for users if they could choose the language of user interface (as in e.g. in AbiWord).

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Cheers,
Jaro

Jordi Mas

Jul 8, 2009, 4:35:07 PM7/8/09
to mist...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jordi,

I am not sure if I haven't caused confusion in expressing the second point.

No, it was clear. Do not worry.

I wanted to say that under some circumstatances it might be helpful for users if they could choose the language of user interface (as in e.g. in AbiWord).

The user interface selection in Abiword in the Preferences is only available on the Windows versions, because Windows supports less languages that Abiword does and also the configuration of the language of the UI (in Windows) is up to every application. It is funny that you mention this, because I wrote the code to support this back in 2006 for Abiword :), when I was contributing to it regularly.

Thanks for your comments Jaro

Jordi,